Scholarship of Teaching and Learning - Resources
How can one increase student engagement? Get students to read the book? Have students write better? Enhance critical thinking?
These are some of the questions that faculty and staff at UWGB have investigated. UWGB has been an active location for the practice of pedagogical research and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Many faculty, especially the alumni of the UW System Fellows and Scholars program as well as those in the UWGB Scholars program, publish their work in national and international, disciplinary and interdisciplinary outlets.
Interested in learning more about SoTL? Read through some of the materials below, or schedule an appointment to meet with a Faculty Consultant
- Why Should you do SoTL? (PDF)
- Getting Started: A Brief Introduction (Powerpoint)
- Inventing the Future (PDF)
An essay by Regan A. R. Gurung, University of Wisconsin Green Bay entitled "Applying Method to (Seeming) Madness: Doing SoTL in Your Classroom" from "Essays from E-xcellence in Teaching". Gurung discusses how to begin SoTL in your classroom and the benefit to your teaching
A powerpoint from a presentation by Regan A. R. Gurung, University of Wisconsin Green Bay entitled "Catalyzing Teaching: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning". This presentation presents a brief introduction to SoTL and is adapted from a talk given at the 2006 American Psychological Association"
An inspiring article by Lee S. Shuman, President of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching that discusses the current state of SoTL and possibilities for the future
- CASTL Higher Education Gallery of Teaching and Learning
- Effectiveness of Active Learning Pedagogies (PDF)
- Lessons from Physics (Web)
- Lesson Study (Web)
- How Should Research Contribute to Instructional Improvement? The Case of Lesson Study (PDF)
This collection, from the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education include hand-built faculty teaching portfolios and scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) projects that were created over a period of eight years.
A collection of research on the Effectiveness of Active Learning Pedagogies collected by Jeffrey E. Froyd from Texas A&M University.
A survey summarizing some of the successes and failures of Physics courses using interactive engagement methods
Lesson study is a form of classroom inquiry in which several teachers collaboratively plan, teach, observe, revise and share the results of a single class lesson. This website from UW La Crosse offers an overview, videos, podcast and guides on the process and benefits of Lesson Study.
The American Educational Research Association published this article by Lewis, Perry and Murata that covers both Lesson Study and the importance of SoTL
- Research Methods Overview (Web)
- Institutional Review Board (Web)
- Handbook for Mixed Method Evaluations (Web)
A great website for people beginning applied social research and evaluation, such as SoTL. You'll find lots of resources and links to other locations on the Web that deal in applied social research methods and statistics.
Approaching the IRB (Institutional Review Board) is an important step in SoTL and ensures, in advance and periodically, that appropriate steps are taken to protect the rights and welfare of human research participants.
This handbook seeks to introduce a broad research perspective, beyond quantitative data. It was initiated because of the recognition that by focusing primarily on quantitative techniques, evaluators may miss important parts of a story. Experienced evaluators have found that most often the best results are achieved through the use of mixed method evaluations, which combine quantitative and qualitative techniques.
- Director's Pick: Disciplinary and Interdisciplinary Outlets for SoTL (Web)
- Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (Web)
- International Journal for Teaching and Learning (Web)
- Currents in Teaching and Learning (Web)
- Journal on Excellence in College Teaching (Web)
An extensive listing of Disciplinary and Interdisciplinary Journals that publish Scholarship of Teaching and Learning research. This listing is very thorough and a great place to start.
The Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (JoSoTL) is a forum for the dissemination of the SoTL in higher education. The peer reviewed Journal promotes investigations that are theory-based and supported by evidence and the objective is to publish articles that promote effective practices in teaching and learning and add to the knowledge base.
International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning is an open, peer-reviewed, international electronic journal published twice a year to be an international vehicle for articles, essays, and discussions about the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) and its applications in higher/tertiary education today
Currents in Teaching and Learning is a peer-reviewed electronic journal that fosters exchanges among reflective teacher-scholars across the disciplines. Currents seeks to improve teaching and learning with short reports on classroom practices as well as longer research, theoretical, or conceptual articles, and explorations of issues and challenges facing teachers today.
The Journal on Excellence in College Teaching is a peer-reviewed journal published at Miami University by and for faculty to increase student learning through effective teaching, interest in and enthusiasm for the profession of teaching, and communication among faculty about their classroom experiences.
- Vanderbilt University - Center for Teaching (Web)
- University of Central Florida - Faculty Center for Teaching & Learning (Web)
A comprehensive introduction and listing of resources for SoTL from Vanderbilt University
A clear overview of SoTL including suggestions for research, from the University of Central Florida
To request a library resource, please email us or come visit the CATL.
- Action Learning and Action Research: Improving the Quality of Teaching & Learning
- Balancing Acts: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Academic Careers
Huber, Mary Taylor
- Campus Progress: Supporting the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- A Cross Section of Educational Research: Journal Articles for Discussion and Evaluation
Lyne, Lawrence S.
- Disciplinary Styles in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: Exploring Common Ground
Huber, Mary Taylor & Morreale, Sherwyn P.
- Engaging Student Voices in the Study of Teaching and Learning
Werder, Carmen; Otis, Megan M.; Hutchings, Pat & Huber, Mary Taylor
- Enhancing Scholarly Work on Teaching and Learning
- Exploring Signature Pedagogies Approaches to Teaching Disciplinary Habits of Mind
Gurung, Regan A. R.; Chick, Nancy L.; Haynie, Aeron & Ciccone, Anthony A.
- Landmark Issues in Teaching and Learning: A Look Back. New Directions in Teaching and Learning, No. 123
Svinicki, Marilla & Wehlburg, Catherine M.
- Lesson Study: Using Classroom Inquiry to Improve Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Cerbin, Bill & Hutchings, Pat
- Opening Lines: Approaches to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Optimizing Teaching and Learning: Practicing Pedagogical Research
Gurung, Regan A. R. & Schwartz, Beth M.
- The Scholarship of Teaching & Learning Reconsidered: Institutional Integration & Impact
Hutchings, Pat; Huber, Mary Taylor & Ciccone, Anthony
- Teaching on Solid Ground: Using Scholarships to Improve Practice
Menges, R. & Weiner, M.