Sign Language Interpreting Services
The Disability Services Office (DSO) provides sign language interpreting services to qualified students by hiring, scheduling and coordinating qualified interpreters to interpret for all scheduled classes and academically related events (i.e. field trips, meeting with professors, in-class exams, etc.). The DSO will service as a resource for other campus organizations and groups regarding sign language interpreting services and will maintain a list of qualified sign language interpreters.
For students, sign language interpreting services will be determined as a reasonable accommodation by the DSO. All students needing this accommodation will receive priority registration so there will be time to coordinate this service. Students are responsible for letting the DSO know if there are any changes to their schedule after the first day of registration.
To request an interpreter for an activity outside of the class schedule, a student should give a 72 hour notice so there is time to secure a qualified interpreter. For academic related events, student should contact the DSO to make the request. For other campus activities (student organizations, programs and activities), please contact the organization identified on the program/flyer.
Students who utilize sign language interpreting services must abide by the following:
- Students must notify the DSO if any changes in schedule (dropping or adding a class).
- Student should notify the DSO if class is cancelled or if the student will not be attending class.
- If the student is not in the class, the interpreter will wait 20 minutes and then leave.
- If the interpreter is not in class, please contact the DSO office with texting number provided to you. If there is a situation where the interpreter is unable to attend class, the student will be notified and can determine if the student will stay in the class or leave.
- If the student does not notify the DSO of absences, interpreting services can be cancelled. To reestablish services, the student will need to meet with the Coordinator of the DSO.