When are classes held?

The Professional Program for Education at UW-Green Bay is a program designed for the traditional student. This means that most of the classes are during the day. A few classes in education are offered in the early evenings & online, but no weekends at this time. Most of our non-traditional students (those with a degree already) and those returning to finish their degree have decided to make a career change and have also decided to become a full-time student. Our students spend a great deal of time in directed field experiences so they must have the flexibility of being able to spend time in the local schools for part of the day while taking classes.

Is it possible to complete the program on weekends or through night courses? How about summer offerings?

Our program is mainly a full-time, daytime schedule. Some of the courses are offered in the late afternoon or early evenings. There are some courses offered during the summer, but these vary from year to year. Most of our courses include field experience in area classrooms, so they tend to meet at the times when schools are in session. It is not possible to complete the program nights, weekends, or during the summer.

Can I work while taking classes?

Unless you have a very flexible work schedule, it is difficult to complete the program the way it is currently designed while working full-time. Many students work part-time on campus. Eventually, one must plan their schedule to finish the certification requirements which would include full days of student teaching for a full semester (18+ weeks) in a K-12 school.

Can I enroll part time in the education program?

Students must apply to be a candidate in the education program.Once accepted, part-time options can be discussed.

The first course you will take upon admission as a candidate to the education program is a 5-credit course (EDUC 290) offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 hours and 45 minutes each day at University-selected school sites off campus. You will also be required to take a 3-credit technology course (EDUC 280) and a 3-credit theory course (EDUC 340).

If you are accepted for full admission to the education program (after successful completion of the above 3 courses), you will then be able to move on to your upper-level classes.

Completion of the course sequence above is required before enrolling in other Education courses. Changing the sequence will cause delays in completing your program.

Are courses scheduled in blocks so I could work on alternate days?

The program starts out with block scheduling which helps you plan your schedule as well as allows you the opportunity to begin your education coursework with students who will be in the same level of certification. This will help you with planning study groups and working with the same group of people during the first few courses.

The first few courses are scheduled as follows:

  • Candidate Semester
    • EDUC 280 - 3 credits, Instructional Technologies: Evaluation, Production and Application
    • EDUC 290 - 5 credits, Introduction to Education Inquiry
    • EDUC 340 - 3 credits, Supporting Learning and Behavior in the Classroom
    • Additional General Education or Disciplinary Major or Minor Courses as needed
  • First Semester after being accepted for full admission to the program:
    • ​Elementary Licensures (Birth-11, 6-12/13):
      • EDUC 361: 3 credits, Introduction to the Art and Science of Teaching
      • EDUC 307: 3 credits, Teaching Reading in the Elementary and Middle School
      • EDUC 309: 3 credits, Teaching Writing in the Elementary and Middle School
      • EDUC 421: 3 credits, Literacy and Language Development in Young Children
      • Additional General Education or Disciplinary or Minor Courses as schedule allows
    • Secondary Licensures (10-21, All Ages)
      • EDUC 361: 3 credits, Introduction to the Art and Science of Teaching
      • Additional General Education or Disciplinary Major or Minor Courses as schedule allows
  • Second Semester after being accepted for full admission to the program:
    • ​​Elementary Licensures (Birth-11, 6-12/13):
      • EDUC 324: 3 credits, Teaching Math in Elementary and Middle School
      • EDUC 281: 3 credits, Conceptual Foundations of Elementary Math I
      • EDUC 282: 3 credits, Conceptual Foundations of Elementary Math II
      • Additional General Education or Disciplinary Major or Minor Courses as schedule allows
    • Secondary Licensures (10-21, All Ages):
      • Additional General Education or Discciplinary Major or Minor Courses as schedule allows

How long will it take me before I can apply for certification?

You can expect to spend about two to three years depending on your course load and summer classes to complete program requirements after you have completed your general education requirements or if you already have a bachelor’s degree outside the field of education.

The Education Major (Ages Birth-11 and Ages 6-12/13) covers about 6-7 semesters of course work. The Education Minor (Ages 10-12 and All Ages) covers about 4-5 semesters of course work. Both of these estimates include a full semester of student teaching. Any course work in the major content area (Ages 10-12 and All Ages) or the minor content area (Ages 6-12/13) would be in addition to the courses included above.

How do I get field experience hours while I am taking courses?

The program is designed to incorporate field experiences as part of the coursework in most education courses. Additional field experience hours are strongly encouraged to establish working relationships with teachers.

What are the job prospects for teachers in this area?

There is always a need for good, dedicated teachers. The State of Wisconsin has an excellent school system. The Green Bay/Fox Cities area is probably one of the most sought after areas to live and work. Establishing your credibility as a teacher in this area could take a little extra work and time. Therefore, many of our graduates may spend a year or more working as a substitute teacher in order to establish themselves as a viable candidate for teaching vacancies. Also, if you need to work at a part-time position while attending school, employers in this area particularly look for the type of work that you have done. They look for employment in child/student-related activities.

Vacancies do occur and it is expected that within the next three to five years that a large number of positions will be available due to retiring teachers. There may be other considerations before you accept a position. If you want to work in a large metropolitan area, there are often many vacancies throughout the country. Where you decide to work will make a difference as to how quickly you will find a teaching position.

Is it easy to get into your program?

Admission to the Professional Program in Education at UW Green Bay is a highly competitive process. Meeting the minimum requirements does not automatically qualify you for admission.

If I do not get accepted to the education program, can I apply again?

Yes, there is no limit to the number of times you may apply. However, we do recommend you meet with the admissions advisor to discuss strategies for improving your application file. We also recommend exploring alternative careers if you are unable to meet admission requirements in one or two semesters.

What are some of the requirements for full admission?

Your attitude and disposition are key factors in determining if you will be admitted for full admission to the program. Therefore, you must receive a recommendation from one or more of your university instructors and a recommendation from one of the PK-12 teachers with whom you have worked as part of the EDUC 290 course.

Does having a four-year degree already put me ahead?

No, you will still need to fulfill the same education courses required for certification. The only advantage may be if your undergraduate degree included a major in the content area you intend to teach for Ages 10-21 or All Ages certification or for the minor required for Ages 6-12/13.

A GPA of 2.75 or better is required in the teaching subject. A content knowledge test is also required.

If my GPA is below 2.75, what can I do?

You can retake any courses in which you received a low grade provided the course you retake is identical to the earlier course. In that case, the new (presumably higher) grade will replace the earlier grade and raise the cumulative GPA. Only retake courses in which you feel you can significantly improve.

I’ve been out of school for several years, and my GPA from my previous course work was below 2.75. What can I do?

Students who have had a break in their schooling of at least two years may elect to enroll in a full-time semester of course work (minimum of 12 credits) and use that current GPA in place of the GPA from earlier courses. However, you are still required to have a minimum 2.75 GPA in your major (content area) in order to receive a license from the State of Wisconsin.

I already have a four-year degree. Will I get another one?

It is possible depending on your situation. Consultation with an advisor and or someone in the Registrar’s office would be beneficial.

Are there courses I can take while I’m waiting to get accepted into the education program?

Before admission as a candidate, students pursuing any of the four licensure levels may only take EDUC 206, EDUC 208 and MATH 101. In addition, a student can take courses in the disciplinary major or minor when it is applicable to their program plan.

If I am accepted into the candidacy block in the Professional Program in Education & after the candidacy block, I do not meet all requirements to be fully admitted in the following semester, what are my options?

Students will not be fully admitted to the program until all candidacy requirements have been met. Students may request to have the candidacy experience extended by one semester in order to repeat courses and meet the academic requirements.  It is the responsibility of the student to schedule a meeting with the program chair for reconsideration.  

After I am fully accepted into the Professional Program in Education, what happens when I do not meet some of program's requirements to continue the program? 

Program requirements are designed to ensure that students are eligible for a Wisconsin teaching license at the time of completion.  Students who do not meet the minimum requirements will be required to repeat coursework in order meet these requirements or may request approval to earn a degree without pursuing teacher certification.