0073D - Frameworks for Literacy (Grades 6-12)
Registration for this Event is Closed
In partnership with CESA 7!
Course Description:No matter what choices about school or careers our students make after high school, they need to be proficient readers, writers, speakers, and listeners to be successful—a philosophy that is clearly reflected in the Common Core State Standards as part of disciplinary literacy. This course is an opportunity for classroom teachers of any subject area in grades 6 – 12 to develop a knowledge base and learn classroom-ready instructional and assessment strategies that will develop literate and thoughtful students.
Topics of investigation include:
• Introductory information on the research base for disciplinary literacy
• Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts/Literacy
• Gradual release of responsibility (GRR) framework for instruction
• Reading/learning strategies related to reading comprehension
• Learning/assessment strategies related to writing
• Learning/assessment strategies related to vocabulary
• Motivation and engagement of adolescent learners
• Instructional and assessment strategies for struggling readers and writers.
Required Readings: One core text and one companion text are required. Each participant is responsible for obtaining these required books independently, prior to the first class. Please refer to the course syllabus for information about the required readings. Before purchasing the required readings, please confirm with the CESA 7 office following the registration deadline, to be sure there is sufficient enrollment to proceed with running the course.
STEP 1 - Register with CESA 7 at http://www.cesa7.org. There is a CESA 7 registration fee. Contact Chris Larson at CESA 7 with questions or for more information - 920-617-5628 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 2 - If you would like to earn three graduate credits for this training, you must also register with UW-Green Bay. Scroll to the top or bottom of this screen, click, "Register Online for this Course" and continue to follow the prompts. Please note that the graduate credit tuition is in addition to the CESA 7 registration fee. Please remit the tuition payment for the graduate credit directly to UW-Green Bay. Thank you!
Note: The reduced tuition for this graduate course is made possible thanks to our partnership with CESA 7!
Comments from Participants:
“The content of the course is relevant to all that I do every day.”
“This course provided an excellent foundation on literacy in all content areas.”
“It's opened a lot of new doors to me. I wanted more strategies and ideas as to how to get my students to read and write better in Spanish (a 2nd language) and I was given many, many strategies and ways to approach my goal. It was awesome to have such a variety of colleagues in the class to share their thoughts and bounce ideas off of. I feel better prepared to pursue my goal of improving literacy in my classroom!”
“I have learned new techniques and more about the Common Core State Standards.”
Three Graduate Credits ($637)
- Course Number: ED & HUD 795-6, section 7412 (#0073D)
- Prerequisite: Graduate Standing (Must have earned a bachelor’s degree); participants must also register with CESA 7 and pay the CESA 7 registration fee. Graduate credit is in addition to the CESA 7 registration fee.
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, August 5-9 (8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.); and Tuesday, October 15, 2013 (8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.).(The official course start and end dates for fee and grade reporting purposes are August 5 to November 12, 2013.)
- Teacher Standards # 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9
- Administrator Standards #: N/A
Location of Course: Green Bay - CESA 7 OfficeCourse Instructor(s): Claire Wick - Instructor Bio
Registration Deadline: 7/23/2013
Syllabus Link: Click here for PDF of course syllabus
To Register For This Course:Click the Register Online link or contact Mary Ann in the UW-Green Bay Education Outreach Office at (920) 465-2480 or toll-free at 800-621-2313. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 AM-4:30 PM. Or, please email your request to us at email@example.com.
Registration for this Event is Closed