If you would like further information or advising, or have questions about the German major, minor, planning a curriculum, or particular courses, please contact either Professor David Coury at (920) 465-2097 or or Professor Jennifer Ham at (920) 465-2185 or to set up an appointment.

All German students are encouraged to experience life in a German-speaking country at some point in their studies by studying a semester or a year at one of our many Hessen exchange universities and/or enrolling in one of our month-long UW-Green Bay summer study abroad programs in the state of Hessen, or our January study abroad program in Kassel. Students have the opportunity to interact with German exchange students, attend film series and weekly German conversation tables, and to participate in a variety of German Club events and trips. The UW-Green Bay Language Resource Center has interactive audio-visual equipment, computers, and international television reception to support students’ language acquisition and cultural awareness.

Students majoring in German will also choose an interdisciplinary minor. Most German students interested in the humanities usually choose the interdisciplinary program in Humanistic Studies; students interested in teaching may choose an Education minor; those interested in business often choose Business Administration or International Business; and those interested in communication fields or creative fields usually choose a minor in Design Arts or Arts Management. Depending on their personal preferences and career goals, students may find other interdisciplinary programs appropriate, such as Human Development or Democracy and Justice Studies.

Students who are beginning their study of German should enroll in Introduction to German 101. Students with previous German study should select a course appropriate to their level — GERMAN 102, 201, 202 or 225 — by counting a year of high school work as equivalent to a semester of college work, or they should consult the German adviser.

Retroactive or Advanced Placement Credit

Students who have taken German in high school or who have acquired a knowledge of German elsewhere may earn up to 14 additional credits for their previous German study by completing a German course beyond the 101 level. With a grade of “B” or better, German credit will be given for all German courses preceding the one in which the student has enrolled, to a maximum of 14 credits; with a grade of “BC” or “C,” half credit will be given for the courses preceding the one in which the student has enrolled, to a maximum of seven credits.

For example, with four years of high school German, students who complete GERMAN 225 Intermediate German Conversation and Composition, with a grade of “B” will receive 14 retroactive credits for GERMAN 101, 102, 201, and 202 in addition to the three credits for GERMAN 225; students who complete the course with a “C” will receive seven retroactive credits for GERMAN 101, 102, 201, and 202 in addition to the three credits for GERMAN 225.

Requests for retroactive credits in a student’s native language are not generally accepted.

Students seeking teacher certification must be admitted to the Education Program and should contact the Education Office for information and further requirements.

Students may study abroad or at other campuses in the United States through UW-Green Bay’s participation in international exchange programs and National Student Exchange. Travel courses are another option for obtaining academic credits and completing requirements. For more information, contact the Office of International Education at (920) 465-2413 or visit their website here.