Table of Contents
Ms. Shelly Gabel, MS, RD, CD
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive, LS 455
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001
Phone: (920) 465-2269
Fax: (920) 465-2769
Office: LS 457
How to Apply for the Dietetic Internship
1. Review the Dietetic Internship program materials as provided in this web site.
2. Contact the Dietetic Internship Director, Shelly Gabel at email@example.com or by telephone (920) 465-2269, for additional questions or materials needed.
Include the following with your application (use this checklist to ensure you have included everything)
UW-Green Bay Dietetic Internship accepts student applications only through, Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS). The online application must be completed for our program no later than Feb. 15, 2016.
Please be advised that all components except payment will now be sent electronically.
Required application components include:
- DICAS Application Fee: the fee to use DICAS is $45 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional internship application.
- UW-Green Bay Dietetic Internship Application Fee: $60.00 application fee to UW-Green Bay.
- Personal Statement: Choose 3 of 5 questions to complete in 1000 words or less. Do not answer DICAS questions. Only respond to UW-Green Bay specific questions.
- Why is the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (UWGB) a good fit for you and what specifically led you to apply?
- Describe what leadership is to you and describe what leadership skills you have now and what skills still need to be developed.
- If you could design your own dietetics/nutrition job, what would it be and why?
- Answer the following statements:
- Everyone knows I....
- No one knows I....
- UWGB should know I....
- Answer the following statements:
- Eating healthy means....
- A healthy weight is....
- The best diet advice I give is....
- Recommendations: Applicants must submit 3 recommendations from faculty, academic advisors, employers, or other people who have supervised your studies or work. One recommendation should come from an employer who supervised your volunteer or paid work, and one from an instructor of a course you took in nutrition/dietetics. All recommendations will be submitted electronically through DICAS. Applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each of their 3 references. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Verification Statement: an official statement of Verification of Completion of the Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics (DP) with original signatures, or Declaration of Intent to complete academic requirements, also with original signatures, is required. Once you submit the online DICAS application, the DP Director will be notified and a verification or declaration of intent will be automatically processed. Applicants will receive two hard copies, while the DP Director will verify online that the applicant has received them.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended: When applying online, applicants will be asked to download and fill out a Transcript Request Form which applicants should then send to the Registrar of each institution. The Registrar will send the official transcript directly to DICAS.
- Digital Matching: Applicants must register online at www.dnddigital.com, pay the $50.00 computer match fee by credit card and enter their contact information and dietetic internship preferences by 11:59 CST Feb 15th, 2016.
- WE DO NOT NORMALLY DO INTERVIEWS.
Computer Matching Applicant Responsibilities:
- For any questions concerning the DICAS application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DICAS Application Information
Below are suggestions regarding the DICAS application process. Further information about the process, including an instructional video on the application process may be found here.
- You can navigate to the DICAS system. You will need to create a new account if you have not already set one up.
- When logged in, please note that there are instructions for every section at the top right hand corner of each page.
- In the College(s) Attended section, after you have added your schools, click the orange button to the left of your school listing to obtain a transcript form. Send a separate transcript request form to each school you have added.
- You can only request 3 letters of recommendation through the DICAS website. UW-Green Bay Dietetic Internship requires 3 letters.
A good resource of information is the student center.
Computer Matching Info and Deadline
Complete the computer matching instructions for D&D Digital Systems (515-292-0490) as described on the link. Deadline is Feb 15th, 2016, final ranking can be made until March 28, 2016. Applicant match notification is April 3, 2016.
Health Requirements Upon Acceptance
Students must submit the following health records and information:
- A physician signed health/physical examination within six months prior to start of internship
Official records and dates of all vaccinations and immunizations, including
- two doses of the MMR vaccine to prove immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella
- proof of immunity to chicken pox (a titer is required if you have had chicken pox) or vaccinations
- TB skin test (step 1 & 2) which will be valid through the completion of the program (some rotations require additional)
- tetanus immunization within the past 10 years. (Hepatitis B vaccine is encouraged)
- Flu shot for current season
- Drug Test - 10 panel
- Hep B - Three shot series is encouraged but now mandatory. If series is complete a titer is also recommended to show immunity.
Criminal Background Checks for Interns:
The state of Wisconsin has a law requiring a stringent check of the backgrounds of persons who provide care for others. The background check is mandatory for all persons who are employed in the care-giving business and also applies to students, including dietetic interns, who are assigned to healthcare facilities for supervised practice. The required background check includes a criminal records check and could exclude someone from working in facilities where direct patient/client contact and care is provided if a history of any of crimes or charges for homicides, sexual assault, abuse or arson is found.
Therefore, it is necessary to complete a detailed disclosure form and pay the processing fee of $25.00, if accepted to the Dietetic Internship. You should also be aware that if the results of the background check reveal any of the offenses noted above, you would not be able to participate in the Internship, except through an appeals process.
If you have any further questions about this requirement, you may contact our office. You may also obtain additional information from the at Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services
Some locations do require an additional background check. If this is the case for your rotation, you will be informed. The facility normally picks up the cost.
Professional Liability Insurance Upon Acceptance:
All interns are required to purchase $1,000,000.00 for occurrence, $5,000,000.00 aggregate in additional liability insurance. It is the responsibility of each intern. Approximate cost: $25-$35
- CPR proof of CPR training valid throughout internship year required.