Foreign National Travel Information

If you plan on traveling outside the U.S., please let Human Resources know your dates of travel, destination, and anticipated return.  Human Resources will review your travel documents and request a letter from the Provost verifying your employment. 

Travel Documents and Passport Validity

When planning travel outside the U.S., it is essential to make sure you have the proper documents prior to leaving the country.  The U.S. government has imposed strict visa issuance and admission policies and has granted immigration and consular offices broad authority to initiate lengthy background and security checks, conduct personal interviews with visa applicants, and closely scrutinize documents at the port of entry.  Heightened security checks are possible at each stage of travel.  The following information should assist you in making the necessary arrangements.  Keep in mind that if you are traveling to a country other than your home country, you may need a visa to enter that country.  Information on foreign embassies in the U.S. is available at

Well in advance of traveling internationally, you should verify that your passport and visa are valid for reentry into the U.S.  Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your expected date of re-entry to the U.S., (some countries have a treaty with the U.S. whereby a passport is considered to be valid for an additional six months past its expiration date).  In addition, please carry the following documents when traveling internationally:

1. The original U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form I-797, Approval Notice of H-1B status
2. Most recent earning statement
3. Any employer identification (UW-Green Bay Employee ID card)
4. Passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the date of anticipated re-entry to the U.S.
5. Valid unexpired visa (unless visa exempt, such as Canadians)