COVID-19: See our Phoenix Forward page

Lost or Damaged Documents

International students must keep all copies of current and previously issued forms I-20 and DS-2019. If you have lost or damaged your immigration paperwork, you must request a replacement.

Procedures for Requesting a new I-20 or DS-2019

  1. Request an appointment with an advisor in the Office of International Education.
  2. At the appointment, please bring your passport, I-94 card and any evidence of your previous documents (photocopies or remains for the damaged documents).
  3. It will take approximately 5 business days to process and issue your new I-20 or DS-2019. When complete, the OIE will notify you to come and pick up your documents.


If you have lost your passport, you will need to contact your nearest embassy or consulate in the United States to make arrangements for a new one to be issued. Once a new passport has arrived, please bring it to the Office of International Education to update your file. Please keep in mind that every consulate or embassy has different procedures for replacing a passport and it may take several months to replace a passport.

I-94 Arrival Card

The I-94 Arrival Card is the white card that the port of entry offices attached to your passport when entering the United States. In the event it is lost or damaged, you will need to make an appointment with an OIE advisor to replace this card. The U.S. government charges a fee for I-94 replacement.

F-1 Visa

A visa is only needed for entering the United States. If an F-1 visa is damaged, lost or stolen with your passport while a student is studying in the country, it can only be replaced by leaving the United States. While abroad a new visa must be obtained to reenter the United States. Once the F-1 visa is replaced, you must bring the new visa to the Office of International Education to update your file.