UW SYSTEM OFFICIAL TITLE: Groundskeeper
POSTING DATE: February 5, 2024
Essential Job Functions
This position reports to the Building & Grounds Supervisor and maintains and landscapes lawns, planting beds, athletic fields, trees and shrubs. Inspects grounds to ensure conditions meet institutional grounds keeping standards.
What You'll Do
- Installs, propagates, and maintains the health of new and existing plants and landscape using a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Operates all campus snow removal equipment, including motor graders, loaders, trucks, tractors and salt spreaders and briners.
- Operates all mechanical equipment assigned to this department including trucks, backhoes, loaders, trenchers, chippers, chainsaws, and related equipment
- Maintains clean and clear lawns, walkways, roadways, and parking lots to ensure they are free of debris, litter, snow, and ice
- Constructs lawn and landscaping projects including soil grading, seeding, and sodding
- Identifies and acts to remedy plant diseases and insect damage
- Implements and monitors chemical and fertilizer programs
- Assists mechanics in maintaining all equipment assigned to this department, including preventive maintenance, adjustments to operating parts and replacement of damaged parts as required.
Possession of or eligibility to obtain a valid driver's license upon appointment
- High School Diploma
- 1 year of related experience
- Knowledge of safe and proper operation and maintenance of lawn care and snow removal equipment
- Physical strength and stamina to perform required work, including being able to bend, stoop, kneel, climb, lift up to 80 pounds, and work on your feet for a long period of time
- Ability to tolerate extreme outdoor ranges on a year-round basis
- Ability to be available for overtime work, nights, weekends as needed, and respond to emergency call-ins, when necessary
- Ability to work outdoors a majority of hours
- Occasionally needs to be sitting for long periods of time
The Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will be expected to work inclusively and respectfully within a diverse campus community and practice civility in the workplace. The University welcomes applicants who are dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of inclusivity and equity as crucial components in the pursuit of organizational excellence.
In addition, the successful candidate will have strong oral, written, interpersonal, and organizational skills, demonstrated integrity and strong leadership, and the willingness to work independently and as part of a collaborative team. The University invites applicants who are dedicated to enriching the quality of life for students and the community by embracing the educational value of diversity, promoting environmental sustainability, encouraging engaged citizenship, and serving as an intellectual, cultural, and economic resource.
Conditions of Appointment
Position is a full-time University Staff appointment. The work hours for this position will be 6:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some weekend and evening hours will be required.
A criminal conviction investigation and pre-work screen examination will be conducted on the finalist(s). A six-month probationary period is required for this position. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record.
All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
Compensation and Benefits
Hourly salary range of $16.75 - $18.00.
This position will earn an additional $0.80 per hour for all weekend hours worked, as well as for all hours worked between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
This position is not exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
The UW System provides an excellent benefits package to meet the diverse needs of its employees. This includes several health insurance options, with annual deductibles as low as $250/individual and $500/family. Our benefits package also includes dental, vision, several life insurance options, AD&D and Accident insurance and Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts. We participate in the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS), where employer contributions begin immediately and employees are fully vested after 5 years of service. The UW System also provides supplemental retirement savings programs including a 403(b) and Deferred Compensation.
In addition, employees receive several types of paid leave benefits, which are prorated for employees working less than 100%. This includes 9 legal holidays, 36 hours of personal holiday and between 96-130 hours of sick leave annually. Employees earn 13-27 days of vacation each year, depending on years of service and employment type.
For more details, please review the benefit quick guide linked below.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: From "Search Jobs" screen,
- Click "View All Jobs"
- Select "Groundskeeper"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Sign In."
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields, and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three references
You must select "Submit" to forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
Please submit application materials by Sunday, March 3, 2024.
Note: The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis.Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For more information regarding the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and the surrounding area, see our Campus and Community section. For Campus Safety information see our University Police website and our Annual Security Report (for a paper copy please contact the Office of Human Resources at (920) 465-2390). This report includes statistics about reported crimes, as well as information about crime prevention and campus security policies and procedures.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay is an Affirmative Action Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining a community which welcomes and values a climate supporting equal opportunity and difference among its members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, genetic information, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status (including disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, other protected veteran, or Armed Forces service medal veteran status), age, or disability.