Getting Started - for Instructors
Preparing Your PowerPoint
The TurningPoint software works only in Microsoft PowerPoint. In other words, to use TurningPoint you must have a valid copy of PowerPoint 2010 installed on the computer you are using.
Open TurningPoint as you would any other software. Double click the TurningPoint icon on your desktop, or open it from the start menu. TurningPoint will automatically open PowerPoint, and it will include the TurningPoint plugins for creating questions, generating reports, and using all the functions of TurningPoint.
You will be assigned a channel number for your receiver. It is a good idea to inform students of this channel number before starting sessions at the beginning of the semester, and include the channel number on your syllabus or somewhere students can reference it later on.
Create a TurningPoint Slide
- When TurningPoint 2008 is opened, a blank slide is displayed.
- Locate the TurningPoint Toolbar on the top portion of your PowerPoint screen.
- From the TurningPoint Toolbar, click Insert Slide (Figure A below).
- Select a Slide Type from the drop down list. An interactive slide is inserted in your presentation.
- Every question type is editable and you can increase or reduce the number of answer choices for each type.
- Enter your question into the text box Enter Question text… (Figure B)
- Enter appropriate responses into the text box entitled “Enter answer text…” (Figure C). Press “Enter/Return” after each answer choice to add more.
- Optionally click Insert Object (Figure D) to access the drop down menu where you can select countdowns, response counters, response tables, and/or answer now keys to add additional control to your slide.
Save TurningPoint presentations as you would a PowerPoint presentation. This will retain all questions and values. If you want to save a session that has student data, save the data by using the TurningPoint menu Save Session option.
The Receiver gets plugged into a USB input on your computer. It will be recognized automatically. You will be assigned a channel number for your receiver. It is a good idea to inform students of this channel number before starting sessions at the beginning of the semester, and include the channel number on your syllabus or somewhere students can reference it later on.
Present a Session
Before presenting a session, remember to select your Participant List. Otherwise results will be anonymous. Select a list from the Participants dropdown in the TurningPoint menu.
Present a TurningPoint Session as you would a PowerPoint session. Go to Slide Show;View Show, or simply press F5.
Once the Presentation begins, any interactive TurningPoint slides will include a TurningPoint toolbar. A command that advances the slide (e.g., the enter key) will begin polling for that slide. The advance slide command will also end polling (or start a timer, if one is used), and may automatically display a graph and/or correct answer indicator if one is selected for that slide.
The Save icon (a blue floppy disk) in the TurningPoint menu will store all the session data. This data can be displayed various ways by using the export or reports features in TurningPoint. Sessions can also be reopened for a new session, which will append any new response data to the prior existing data.
All your session and participant files should be saved in the corresponding folders on your M drive. TurningPoint will attempt to save files in the correct location, so we advise that you use those locations.
ATS will support any and all questions about clickers. We are available for one-on-one sessions by appointment (or possibly drop-in depending on availability), we can be reached by phone or email, and we will be continually revising our support documentation online:
Room: IS 1010
Phone: (920) 465-2286
Hours: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM