COVID-19: See our Phoenix Forward page

Questions & Answers

Below are frequently asked questions pertaining to faculty and staff regarding UW-Green Bay's actions in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) emergency. Questions may also be submitted to the Question and Answer form.

General Coronavirus Questions

Q: Are UW-Green Bay campuses open during the national coronavirus emergency?

A: Campuses are open for all employees, students and persons conducting University related business in accordance with the Building Hours and Access Policy.

Q: What are the guidelines for employees who are on campus?

A: All individuals in any University building are required to wear face coverings in any public spaces or in any space occupied by multiple people in accordance with the Chancellor Directive on Face Coverings

Employees may view specific expecations for faculty and staff in the Fall 2021 Standard Operating Procedures and COVID-19 Protocol Matrix.

Q: How often will I get updates?

A: University leadership and the Office of COVID-19 Response is meeting frequently to monitor the coronavirus situation, make decisions and ensure the necessary resources are in place to keep students, faculty and staff safe while delivering on our mission. The University will update faculty, students, staff and the community as decisions are made. Please visit for up-to-date information.

Q: What should I do if I have COVID-19 Symptoms?

A: Employees with symptoms should not come to campus. Please see Reporting Faculty & Staff for reporting requirements for employees.

Q: What should I do if I have tested positive?

A: Please see Reporting Faculty & Staff for information applicable to employees who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Q: What should I do if a student tells me they have tested positive for COVID-19?

A: The Teaching and learning Working Group has created a Positive Case Decision-Making Flowchart to help walk through the step-by-step process if a student informs a faculty or staff member that they are COVID-19 positive or that they may be positive. This provides a structured process for how these situations are being handled.

Q: What should I do if I have been in contact with someone with COVID-19?

A: Please see Reporting Faculty & Staff for information applicable to employees who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Q: What should I do if an employee, student, or visitor is not complying with the requirements for masking and social distancing?

  1. If an individual presents at an operational area without a mask or in a way that is not complying with COVID-19 protocol, the employee should request that the individual comply with the requirements. If a disposable mask is available, they should make that offering.
  2. If the individual refuses to comply with the request for compliance, the employee should ask the individual to leave the operational area. If the individual is an employee, notify Human Resources. If the individual is a student, notify Dean of Students.
  3. If the individual refuses to leave the operational area or becomes disruptive, the employee or supervisor should immediately call ext. 2300 and request assistance.
No employee should confront directly a non-complying person.

Q: I feel like I am being discriminated against due to concerns around this issue. What should I do?

A: Coronavirus is not specific to an ethnicity or race—disease does not discriminate. Harassing or discriminatorily behaviors are not tolerated and will be in violation of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay’s Policy Prohibiting Harassment and Discrimination. Violations of this policy will be reviewed under UWS 17 and the UW-Green Bay Workplace Conduct Policy. If you experience harassment or discrimination, students are encouraged to file a bias incident report and employees may file a complaint at

Q: What should I do if the media calls?

A: Contact the Director of Media Relations, Sue Bodilly:, 920-465-5502


Q: Where can I get more information?

A: The University will be communicating as much as possible with faculty, students, staff and the community. All updates can be found at:


Human Resources

Q: Can I telecommute due to caregiving related to COVID-19 (school closure or need for child to quarantine)?

A:  Intermittent Telecommuting may be used during a school closure or need for child to quarantine due to COVID-19, so long as the employee is able to fulfill their work functions during this time, time and leave is reported accurately, and the supervisor approves. This is appropriate because the reason for intermittent telecommuting would fall under the definition as outlined in the Telecommuting Policy (“transient and specific circumstances lasting no longer than ten business days”). An employee cannot be approved for a part- or full-time, continuous telecommuting arrangement for purposes of caregiving. For more information about remote work, please visit the UW-Green Bay Telecommuting Website.

Choosing to have children attend school virtually does not constitute applicable justification for either intermittent or continuous telecommuting, and therefore cannot be considered as a reason for remote work.

Q. Is there potential for a security threat with using my personal computer from home?

A: If you have been issued a University laptop, it is expected that you are utilizing that device for all University business. If connecting from a home computer, use a VPN. The IT Division has setup a new method of connecting to your PC/Windows workstation remotely. Using our new SafeConnect VPN connection you are able remote into your assigned PC/Windows workstation, and operate it as though you were sitting in your office. The instructions on how to complete the initial setup of your personal device, and how to make the connection to your University workstation (PC only) can be found at: “SafeConnect VPN Connection Instructions”

Q: If I do not have available leave to remain in paid status during self-quarantine, may I used unpaid leave?

A: Yes, employees are able to use an unpaid leave during a self-quarantine. Employees are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resources to gain understanding of the consequences of using an unpaid leave. 

Classroom Questions

Q: Where can I go to get updated information on COVID-19 Protocols?

A:  Marketing and University Communication is working hard to keep the Phoenix Forward Page updated in the frequently changing world.  In addition, more specific operating guidelines and a matrix of responses for vaccinated and unvaccinated persons can be found here.   The Classroom Guidelines have also been updated and should be reviewed by all instructors.

Q: What should I do if a student reports that they are positive or has been in close contact?

A: The process for reporting a student who has reported to you that they are COVID-19 Positive remains the same as last academic year.   If an individual lets you know they are COVID-19 Positive, you should make the report to the Office of COVID-19 Response using the process found here.

Q: What are the expectations and exceptions for face masking?

A: Consistent with CDC guidance as well as Brown County Health recommendation It is expected that all students use face coverings at all times while inside buildings., so long as it is safe to do so and it does not directly inhibit the respiration of participant.  Face coverings may be temporarily removed to allow for eating or drinking, but should be immediately returned when the student is done.  Note that instructors have the ability to limit eating and drinking in the classroom. 
In addition, for course work that may require more strenuous activity by the student, face coverings may be temporarily and briefly removed when the participant is recovering from the activity or to take on needed hydration when recovering.  When this is done, the participants should be attentive to maintaining the required three foot distancing as able, and should immediately resume use of the mask.

Q: What do I do if a student is not complying with the face covering requirements?

A: Instructors should follow the same procedure as in the 2020-2021 Academic year.  Specifically, they should advise the student of the face masking requirement and if that does not resolve the matter, then they should contact the Dean of Students Office or you may file an Incident Report.  Please note this process can also be implemented for those who are abusive of the eating or drinking policy. 


Q: If I am exposed or infected resulting in isolation from campus, who do I tell and what do I do?

A: You should contact your supervisor and stay home. Please follow the guidelines for exposure, suspected exposure, or confirmed infection as relevant.

Q: What do I do if a student is showing symptoms of COVID while in the classroom?

A: If you have reason to believe that a student may be COVID-19 Infected or Exposed, you should follow the process found here.


Q: Should I travel outside the state on a personal trip? Who should I tell?

A: Please see the Travel Information page for more details regarding employee travel.

Q: Should I travel internationally?

A: The Center for Disease Control’s guidance discourages people from partaking in unnecessary travel. Should you travel internationally, you would be required to self-quarantine for 14 days after your return prior to returning to campus. 

COVID-19 Testing


Q: What is the policy for faculty/staff testing?

A: No routine surveillance testing is required at this time.  Employees are encouraged to seek surveillance testing through their medical service provider or other community source.  A non-exempt employee who is symptomatic for COVID-19 must isolate from campus and may not return until 14 days after onset of symptoms.  An option for PCR testing to shorten the period of isolation may be available depending on local health conditions at the time of the request. 

Ask a Question

Please send us questions you have regarding the COVID-19 (Coronavirus).