skip to content

Records Management

Transferring Records to the Archives

UW-Green Bay Archives seeks to preserve and maintain an accurate and complete historical record of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. Almost every office and department on campus produces records of historical significance.

Types of Records That Should Be Transferred to Archives

Any material which helps to document the development of the University is important to be saved in the Archives. Following is only a sample list; it is not meant to be all-inclusive.

  1. Subject Files
    • Correspondence
    • Reports (final drafts)
    • Memoranda and notes
    • Announcements
    • Photographs
    • Newspaper clippings
    • Project or Program files
    • Publications
    Files created by departments in the course of their daily activities provide an accurate portrait of the development of the University, its mission, and policies.
  2. Committee Records
    • Agendas
    • Minutes
    • Correspondence
    • Reports
  3. Student Organization Records
    • Constitutions and by-laws
    • Brochures
    • Student newspapers and newsletters
    • Photographs
    • Meeting minutes
    • Correspondence
    Student organization records document the historical development of student life, activities and interests on campus and the surrounding community. Student organization records also document the purpose of the organization and reflect the views of local, national and international students to society and the world around them. These records are valuable to researchers of today and tomorrow.
  4. Publications
    • Programs
    • Newsletters
    • Leaflets
    • Invitations
    • Catalogs
    • Posters
    • Brochures
    • Booklets
    • Bulletins
    • Press releases

How to Transfer Records to the Archives

There are a few things you need to do to get records ready to transfer to the Archives.

  • Go through your records.
    • Remove items from 3-ring binders and transfer them into regular (non-hanging) file folders
    • Remove items from hanging file folders and transfer them to regular file folders
    • Maintain the original order and file folder labels used in your office
  • Box your records in standard storage boxes (10” x 12” x 15”). The correct boxes may be purchased through the standard state office supplier.

    You should not transfer the records to the archives in paper boxes, file cabinets, plastic storage bins, etc. Boxes must be able to be properly labeled and must fit on standard archives shelving.
  • Leave files in file folders as you had them originally labeled in your office
  • Clearly label boxes with permanent marker, including this information:
    • Name of the creating department or academic unit
    • Name/title of the records series
    • Date span of the records series
    • RDA # (if known)
  • Notify the Archives that you have records to be transferred. The Archives will verify that these records have been scheduled and approved for archives transfer, and make arrangements for delivery or pick-up.

Can I access records once they’ve been transferred to the archives?


Call or email us and let us know what you need. We’ll retrieve it for you, and let you know when it’s ready. You can use your files in the Archives, or check them out and take them back to your office. Simply return them when you are finished, and we’ll get them back in the right place.