Vehicle Use

University officers, employees, and agents who obtain Driver Authorization may be approved to use a University Vehicle, a vehicle rented under University Contract or a personal vehicle while on University business.

Vehicle use approval will only be given for University business including Incidental Use (activities necessary to sustain a traveler away from home such as dining within a reasonable distance).

Examples of approved usage are:

  1. Class related field trips that are for educational purposes and have on-site supervision by a UW authorized driver.
  2. While in travel status, stops at an ATM or financial institution or for lunch.
  3. Students driving and attending University-related conferences, meetings, and events; provided that a designated instructor/faculty advisor approves of the trip.
  4. Field Research under the supervision of a principle investigator.
  5. Volunteer programs that are under the supervision and control of the University and that provide benefit to the University.

Examples of inappropriate use are:

  1. Individual research projects or course-work primarily for the personal benefit of a student working toward a degree.
  2. Student field trips that do not have the approval of the faculty or advisor and/or are not class related.

Only the following people may ride in a fleet vehicle or a vehicle rented through the State contract: State employees, University students or student from other institution while commencing UWGB business, agents (volunteers could fall in this category), approved independent contractors and approved non-state employees on official State business. Note: approval must be obtained before a non-state employee on official State business rides in a University owned or rented vehicle.

No personal use of fleet vehicle or contract rental vehicle (except for incidental personal use as defined in the State Fleet Driver and Management Policies and Procedures manual) is allowed. A person taking a fleet vehicle home more than once per month will have to reimburse the University for personal mileage.

If a privately-owned vehicle is used, this vehicle must carry a minimum liability coverage of $100,000 per person, $300,000 total per occurrence, $50,000 property coverage, and must be in good mechanical condition; particular attention being paid to brakes, signal lights, and lights.

Worker’s Compensation Insurance does not cover students or volunteers traveling on University business. Therefore medical costs incurred because of an auto accident while traveling on University business will be the responsibility of the student or volunteer.

If a trip is over 300 miles in one day, two drivers must be authorized and they shall change off driving.

Types of Vehicles

Rented or Leased Vehicles

If  it is determined that a rental vehicle is the most cost effective means of transportation, use of the contracted rental vehicle suppliers is required. Passengers must be pre-authorized by risk management under all other State vehicle rental/leasing contracts.

Use of Personal Vehicles

Use of personal vehicles for University business is allowed when the use is less costly than alternative means of transportation or when there are conveniences or safety issues that justify the additional costs, as determined by the approving authority. The approving authority must also consider other options including; rental vehicles, business car share

Substantial or unreasonable personal use of a University Vehicle while on University business may result in a decision that a driver was operating outside of their scope of employment or agency. If an employee/agent has an accident outside of the scope of their employment, the state’s insurance program could determine the accident was not covered by insurance.

University Owned/Leased Vehicles

If available an authorized driver may use a University owned or leased vehicle.  In general, only employees, agents, and students are allowed to ride in University owned vehicles due to the additional liability exposure posed to both the University and the passenger. Exceptions to this rule arise when transportation is necessary or convenient for individuals who are dealing directly with, or involved in, University business. Passengers who are not employees or agents must have approval from the Risk Manager.

Accident Reporting

In the event of an accident, it is the responsibility of the driver to immediately report the accident to the following:
  • Police
  • University Supervisor/Manager
  • University Risk Management
  • Rental Vehicle Supplier

Additional procedures can be found at UW System Risk Management.

12/15 Passenger Vans

Specific Driver authorization and training is required for any individual requesting to drive a State or University 12/15 passenger van. Additionally, individuals must adhere to the following requirements:

  • Twenty-five (25) years of age or older*;
  • Completion of a van-training program, which meets the standards established by the Department of Administration/Bureau of State Risk Management. Authorization and proof of certification as a van driver must be received by the UW System institution’s risk manager, or delegated party, prior to using the van;
  • Abstinence from the use of drugs or alcohol;
  • Absolutely nothing is to be towed by or attached to 12/15 passenger vans.
  • Rental of a 12/15 passenger van will require individuals to demonstrate proof of van driver certification at the time of rental. A university issued wallet card certification will be the only acceptable proof of certification;

Trailering & Towing

Trailering is not recommended, but when trailer rental is necessary for University business, individuals shall use the approved State rental car vendor, if possible. If it is not possible, individuals must purchase the damage waiver. Trailering shall be done only by trained drivers.