Permitted Vehicle Use

Permitted Use
  • No personal use of fleet vehicle or contract rental vehicle (except for incidental personal use as defined in the State Fleet Driver and Management Policies and Procedures manual) is allowed.  A person taking a fleet vehicle home more than once per month will have to reimburse the University for personal mileage.
  • Vehicle use for University business may be conducted using a University owned vehicle, commercial motor vehicle, ground transportation (bus), passenger van, personal vehicle, rental vehicle, or use of trailer and towing.  Requirements for use are noted within the Permitted Vehicle Use Matrix.  Specific training is required for ground transportation and passenger vans.
  • If a trip is over 300 miles in one day, two drivers must be authorized and they shall change off driving.
In general, only employees, agents, and students are allowed to ride in University owned vehicles due to the additional liability exposure posed to both the University and the passenger.  Exceptions arise when transportation is necessary or convenient for individuals who are dealing directly with, or involved in, University business. 
Passengers who are not employees or agents must have approval from the Risk Manager.
Transportation of student athletic teams and students participating in institutional governance activities may be considered University business.  
Substantial or unreasonable personal use of a University Vehicle while on University business may result in a decision that a driver was operating outside of their scope of employment or agency. If an employee/agent has an accident outside of the scope of their employment, the state’s insurance program could determine the accident was not covered by insurance.
Worker’s Compensation Insurance does not cover students or volunteers traveling on University business. Therefore, medical costs incurred because of an auto accident while traveling on University business will be the responsibility of the student or volunteer.
Mileage Reimbursement
When using a personal vehicle, mileage reimbursement rates and definition of business versus commuting miles may be found on US System Administrative Policy 425 Use of Personal Vehicles, Rental Cars and Fleet for Business Transportation.