Active Duty Class Absence Policy
Withdrawal-(Dropping all courses after the term begins)
Students that are activated for the military may request a complete withdrawal. Individual (not unit) orders are needed if you withdraw during a semester. These orders need to be given to the following offices: Registrar, Bursar, Financial Aid and Residence Life (if applicable).
- Tuition and Fees-Activated students should be given the opportunity to earn his/her grade or a full refund of tuition should be made.
- Room and Board-Activated students should be given a refund for the unused portions of room and board contracts.
- Financial Aid-For students receiving financial aid at the time of their withdrawal, please be aware that the financial aid office is required by federal regulation to calculate the amount of aid (if any) that must be returned. This applies to any student that withdraws and there is not an exception for military deployment. Depending on the amount of aid received and the date of withdrawal in that semester, you may have to repay a percentage of aid to the appropriate aid programs.
Classes While ActivatedIf you are interested in doing an independent study during the time you are gone, we encourage you to work out the details with your instructor and fill out the independent study form before you leave. Please contact Elaina Koltz in the Financial Aid Office if you plan to take a class while activated. We want to make this process as easy as possible.
- Email Account-Please contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org to extend the activation of your UWGB email account.
- Parking Decal Refund-If withdrawn within the first 4 weeks, you may be eligible for a parking refund. Take decal to the parking office to complete a form. Refunds will be mailed.
- Library Books-Return any library books, media services equipment, etc.
- Dining Points-Remaining balance of dining points and pass points are refundable less a $25 dollar administration fee. Online request submission: http://www.uwgb.edu/union/forms/
ReadmissionWhen you return to UW-Green Bay, you need to fill out the application for readmission at www.uwgb.edu/admissions - click apply now. This is to update your account. Also, the admissions office will need an official transcript for any classes you may have taken at another institution while activated.
Federal student loan and additional financial aid informationThe federal government provides options for servicemen and women who are being deployed for active duty and who have student loans. As a deployed service member, you may be eligible to delay or temporarily suspend making loan payments to reduce the burden on you and your family. In general, service members will fall into one of three categories:
- Those currently enrolled in school, have taken out student loans, and are being called to active duty.
- Those within the grace period of their student loans, have yet to make a first payment, and are being called to active duty.
- Those currently making payments on student loans and are being called to active duty.