Internships provide academic credit. Most Modern Language internships earn students 2 credits (up to a maximum of 12 credits). To be considered for an internship, a student should:
- Have a GPA of at least 2.5
- Be able to dedicate at least 10-12 hours/week to Humanistic Studies internships or at least 6-8 hours/week to Modern Language internships
- Have a resume description of past work experience
- Know that good students of junior and senior standing are given preference
- Work an average of 10-12 hours/week in HUS internships (for 3 credits), or
- Work an average of 6-8 hours/week in Modern Language internships (for 2 credits)
- Establish and attend a schedule of regular meetings with UW-Green Bay internship Advisor throughout the semester
- Complete and submit written assignments to be graded by Internship Advisor (written assignments usually consist of a paper, journal, and/or portfolio)
Aldo Leopold Elementary School
Teach Spanish to elementary school children. A fun way to get practice in the classroom! Highly recommended for future language teachers. Offered Fall and Spring semesters.
NEW Community Clinic of Green Bay
Responsibilities include: translate and/or interpret in doctor-patient communications. Open to high intermediate or advanced proficient students only.
This clinic offers medical care to low-income families. Some of the clinic patients are Spanish speaking people with limited English skills. Students serve as translators and interpreters. Offered Fall and Spring semesters.
Boys and Girls Club
Responsibilities include: help members with their homework or just play and have fun. Open to all levels of Spanish, intermediate proficiency preferred.
Literacy Green Bay
Become an English teacher for a non-English speaker or work at the day care center helping Spanish-speaking children with homework and questions. Intermediate proficiency preferred.
For other internship opportunities using your Spanish in the Green Bay community, contact Professor Cristina Ortiz.