What is GB Alert?
In the event of an emergency, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has a comprehensive communication system in place.
GB Alert is one component of this system, and it provides you with up-to-date information on emergencies via text messaging and/or email. This system will only be used for emergency and safety-related communications.
GB Alert emergency notification system provided by Omnilert.
Who can get GB Alerts?
GB Alert service is designed for students and employees who will be affected by an emergency on the University grounds and/or in the area.
For each registered user, GB Alert can deliver:
- Text messages to two cell phones.
- Email messages to two email addresses.
Why should I get GB Alert?
GB Alert provides for a safer environment, enhances emergency preparedness, and keeps our staff and students better informed.
Text messaging is reliable in emergency situations when some communication systems reach high capacity. Text messages can get through when cell phone calls won't. You can receive alerts anywhere, even when you do not have access to a computer.
How do I control what shows up on my phone?
You will only receive a text message from GB Alert in the event of an emergency or safety concern.
When will my GB Alert account expire?
Once you have created an account, your account will remain active for 5 years. You may remove yourself from the system when you no longer wish to receive notifications or can simply allow your enrollment to expire. Students, Faculty, and Staff who wish to remain enrolled in GB Alert longer than 5 years will need to sign up again. GB Alert will notify all subscribers when their enrollment is about to expire.
Will I receive unsolicited messages ("SPAM") on my mobile phone or email account ?
No. GB Alert is provided by Ominlet, who enforces a ZERO SPAM policy that prohibits unsolicited messages. GB Alert does not sell the contact information of our subscribers to anyone.
Does GB Alert work on multiple cell phone networks?
Yes. GB Alert is a cross-carrier service. All major providers, most local providers and regional carriers work and have been tested.
Do I need to install software on my phone?
No. GB Alert uses the industry standard SMS text messaging protocol to send messages to your phone. Your mobile phone plan will need to accept text messages to work properly.
Will this cost me anything?
Maybe. Depending on your wireless carrier provider and the plan you have, you may be charged a nominal fee (like ten cents per message) to receive SMS text messages. If you have an unlimited text messaging plan, there would be no additional charge.
What will the GB Alerts tell me?
A short text message will state the type of threat and indicated suggested action. For instance, for the presence of a gunman on campus: "GUNMAN AT LARGE (LOCATION). RUN, HIDE, or RIGHT TO PROTECT YOURSELF. DETAILS AT EMERGENCY.UWGB.EDU."
Because the messages must be brief, you will always be directed to go to the University's emergency website http://emergency.uwgb.edu, which is the primary and most complete resource for current emergency information. GB Alerts text messaging service is just one of the methods the University will use to communicate emergency information. Do not reply to a GB Alert text or email message.
How do I sign up for GB Alert?
You must be a student or employee to sign up for GB Alert.
- First, you must have your cell phone handy.
- Go to Public Safety webpage on www.uwgb.edu
- Go to Emergency Information and then GB Alert and click on Sign up for GB Alert
- Depending on whether you are signed on to a campus network computer and what browser you are using, you may first be prompted to log in with your UWGB username and password.
- Your UWGB username will automatically be assigned to your account.
- Enter your first and last name
- You will be required to use your UWGB account password due to single point authentication. Use the same information as you would use to access your campus email. (Remember, do not add the "@uwgb.edu" extension to your user name or it will fail)
- You are required to sign up for at least one group. You may select multiple groups and add or remove a group at any time by logging into GB Alert and updating your selections. For Example:
- If you reside on the UW-Green Bay campus in Residence Life, you may want to select both UW-Green Bay as well as UW-Green Bay Residence Life.
- If you attend classes at both UW-Green Bay main campus and Sheboygan campus you may want to select both relevant groups.
- Enter a cell phone number and select your carrier.
- Your phone will receive a text message with a four-digit validation code.
- You will also be automatically forwarded to a screen where you must enter the validation code under the SMS (text messaging) section and click the "Validate" button. You do not need to keep your validation code.
- You may also add an additional cell phone number or an email address to receive text messages.
Please note: The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay does not guarantee the successful delivery of each message to each individual recipient. The service depends on the individual email systems, cellular, and mobile phone carriers to deliver SMS and email messages to each recipient.
What if I don't receive the validation text message?
It is possible that your phone number wasn't formatted correctly, you selected the wrong mobile carrier, or the confirmation code timed out.
- Log into your account using your GB Alert password.
- Select the "services" tab at the top of the interface.
- You should see a list of phone numbers you have entered for GB Alert. Phone numbers should be in the format of: 555-555-5555.
- If your phone number is not in that format, click the "delete" link to remove your phone number.
- Re-enter your phone number, select the carrier, and click "Add SMS" to add the number back into the system.
How do I Opt-Out (remove myself) from receiving GB Alerts?
Log into your account to opt-out of GB Alert.
- To opt-out of SMS text messaging, click "Inactive " for each number.
- To opt-out of email messaging, click "Inactive " for each email address.
How do I add another contact such as a parent or family member or an email address?
Once you have created an account, log into GB Alert.
- You will see a list of phone numbers and email addresses.
- Enter an additional phone number and select the carrier and click the "Add New " button, or enter an email address and click the "Add New " button.
- If you enter another mobile phone number, make sure you are able to contact the owner of the phone number to enter the appropriate validation code, which will be sent to their mobile phone.
- If you enter another email address, make sure that you or the owner of the email will be able to complete the verification process using the email that will be sent to that address.
- You may also inactivate or delete existing phone numbers and email addresses from this page.
Should I sign up my campus email address for GB Alert?
It is your choice, but please consider the following:
If you sign up your campus email:
If you do not sign up your campus email:
- Your campus email account will receive a GB Alert email for any groups that you have signed up for.
- Your campus email account will receive two (duplicate) GB Alert email messages for a campus wide emergency.
- Your campus email account will not receive a GB Alert email for any groups that you have signed up for.
- Your campus email account may receive an emergency message for campus wide emergencies.