Municipal Clerks and Treasurers Institute
July 9-14, 2017
Brochure 2017 will be available March 2017
Brochure 2016 Clerks and Treasurers Institute
How does the Clerks and Treasurers Institute work?
The Municipal Clerks and Treasurers Institute consists of a three-year program of classroom instruction that takes place during one-week sessions recurring annually.
Each year the Institute offers one week of classroom sessions during the second week of July. There is a curriculum track for Clerks and a separate curriculum track for Treasurers. Each year the week of classroom instruction consists of 33-34 contact hours per attendee. The curriculum increases in difficulty, building on the knowledge gained the previous years. New students must sign up for Year One.
After three years when attendees have completed an accumulated total of 100 hours of programming, Clerks graduate from the Clerks Institute while Treasurers graduate from the Treasurers Institute.
The program is designed so that local government officials completing the three-year sequence should earn all of the educational points needed for the education portion of the WCMC, CMTW, and CPFA Certificates. To complete the CMC Certificate it is necessary to return for a fourth year.
Institute Programs: What Should I Do?
There are eight tracks to choose from at the Institute. People who have never attended the Institute should choose Year One.
- Municipal Clerks Institute - Clerk Year One, Clerk Year Two, Clerk Year Three, (optionally followed by Treasurers Completion)
This track provides education and training on municipal clerk duties. (New students must sign up for Year One.)
After completing three years of the Clerks Institute, the attendee graduates from the Clerks Institute.
- Municipal Treasurers Institute - Treasurer Year One, Treasurer Year Two, Treasurer Year Three, (optionally followed by Clerks Completion)
This track provides education and training on municipal treasurer duties. This program does not provide basic accounting training. You should be able to post journal entries and perform T-account postings. (New students must sign up for Year One.)
After completing three years of the Treasurers Institute, the attendee graduates from the Treasurers Institute.
It is recommended and highly beneficial for the attendee to receive further instruction in the alternate track. (Clerks benefit from cross-training in Treasurer duties, and Treasurers benefit from cross-training in Clerk duties.) The Year Four of instruction is known as the Completion Year.
- Treasurers Completion - for people who have completed the Clerks Institute
The Treasurers Completion program is a fourth year cross-training opportunity for people who have completed the Clerks Institute. The Treasurers Completion program gives the clerk (or clerk/treasurer) the opportunity to learn the treasurer's duties, compressed into one year.
- Clerks Completion - for people who have completed the Treasurers Institute
The Clerks Completion program is a fourth year cross-training opportunity for people who have completed the Treasurers Institute. The Clerks Completion track offers the treasurer (or clerk/treasurer) the opportunity to learn the clerk's duties, compressed into one year.
The Wisconsin Municipal Clerks Association (WMCA) and the Municipal Treasurers Association of Wisconsin (MTAW) offer full and partial scholarships. The scholarship applications are available on their respective websites in January. Scholarships range from $100 to all expenses paid including lodging and tuition. The applications are easy to fill out and well worth the effort. Last year attendees received scholarships totaling over $19,000. Go to WMCA's website at www.wisclerks.org or MTAW's website at www.mtaw.org to get your application. If you have any Scholarship questions, please contact the respective organization.
We are the only authorized provider in Wisconsin
Earn all of the educational points for the following certificates upon completion of our Institute:
- Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC) - through International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC) - 120 points
- Certified Municipal Treasurer of Wisconsin (CMTW) - through Municipal Treasurers Association of Wisconsin (MTAW) - 100 points
- Certified Public Finance Administrator (CPFA) - through Association of Public Treasurers of the United States and Canada (APT US&C) - 100 points
- Wisconsin Certified Municipal Clerk (WCMC) - through Wisconsin Municipal Clerks Association (WMCA) - 100 points
After the Institute: What's Next?
After completing the Institute public officials can continue their education with a subsequent annual program: the Master Academy for Civic and Public Affairs.
- The Master Academy for Civic and Public Affairs is for persons who serve in public office.
- Solution Focused, our cutting edge courses reflect the latest trends in government.
- Courses are taught by experts in the field that give our attendees tools they can apply immediately to their jobs.
- Through case studies and hands-on exercises you will have a chance to assess your understanding of the concepts.
- The program is MMC (Master Municipal Academy) and WCPA approved, ICMA (International City/County Management Association) Credentialed Manager recognized.
- The dates for the Academy are the fourth week of July.
- You can attend for one day, two days or all four days.
- There is a $50 discount for first time attendees of the four day program.