Do I need IACUC approval?

According to federal law, all laboratory use of non-human vertebrate animals at UW-Green Bay must be approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). An IACUC protocol form must be filed if:

  • The research, training, or testing is conducted under authority or directive of the university, regardless of funding sources
  • These activities are conducted by any faculty, staff, or students of the university in conjunction with their academic or professional responsibilities
  • These activities are conducted on university property or using university facilities or equipment

Wildlife (Observational Field) Research

Workers doing field investigations that involve handling of non-human vertebrates must receive approval from IACUC. However, workers performing observational field investigations (i.e., work that does not involve direct handling of animals or significant manipulation of the animals' environment) may be exempt from full committee approval, but must submit a wildlife waiver to IACUC to be considered for exemption.

Students can be covered under an instructor's/advisor's protocol as long as their work does not deviate from the approved protocol. Students can not be the PI on a IACUC protocol.