Skip to main content

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, licensing and national testing programs. All programs must be approved for GI Bill® benefits. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

Some of the benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay may include:

For those attending UW-Green Bay as a non-resident out-of-state student, a program exists which may help to reimburse the difference. This program is called the "Yellow Ribbon Program". Please contact the Veteran Certifying Official in the Financial Aid office if you believe you are eligible for Yellow Ribbon as a non-resident student.

Application Process

Veterans applying for Chapter 33 should apply thru the VONAPP system at Applicants will be given the opportunity to upload and attach Copy 4 of their DD214 (Certificate of Discharge) paperwork. Please bring a copy of your completed application and DD214 to the Veteran Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office at UW-Green Bay who will then certify your enrollment to the VA.

Payment Information

Students are NOT required to verify their student attendance each month to receive their Chapter 33 payment. Payments are processed automatically. Each payment you receive is for the previous month. For example, you will receive a check the first week in October for attendance during September. It takes six to ten weeks for new students or transfer students to receive their initial payment. The VA no longer pays for the breaks between semesters.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Dependents)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® allows service members (officer or enlisted, Active Duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services.

Eligibility for the Service Member

The Department of Defense determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family members. To apply to transfer your benefits, please visit Transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits. The website is only available to military members.

Application Process for Dependent

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits by completing VA Form 22-1990e electronically at Applicants will be given the opportunity to electronically upload approval documentation from the service member.

Important to note:

  • VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB.
  • Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to initially apply as the service member for Transfer of Eligibility.