Skip to main content


BehaviorRecommended Action

For an Angry or
Upset Person:

  • Project calmness; move and speak slowly, quietly and confidently.
  • Be an empathetic listener: encourage the person to talk and listen patiently.
  • Do not challenge or interrupt the person while they are talking.
  • Use “I” language, such as:
    “I see.”, “How can I help.”, “I want to understand”.
  • Avoid the use of threatening or derogatory words, such as:
    “You are wrong” “You shouldn’t feel that way”
  • Never belittle the person or make him/her feel foolish.
  • Avoid making false statements or promises you cannot keep.
  • Acknowledge the person’s feelings. Indicate that you can see he or she is upset.
  • Arrange yourself so that a visitor cannot block your access to an exit.
  • Avoid any physical contact, finger-pointing or long periods of fixed eye contact. Do not touch the person.
  • Position a barrier between you and the person. If no barrier is present, just slowly back away to add distance.
  • Try not to position yourself between the person and their exit route.
  • Avoid invading the individual’s personal space. Make sure there is a space of 3’ to 6’ between you and the person.
If you feel
  • Notify University Police, by calling 911
    • Signal someone else to call if you are unable to
    • Excuse yourself and call.
    • You do not need to remain in a situation where you feel threatened.

For someone
with a gun, knife
or other weapon:

  • The primary objective is to escape to a safe location and call the police as soon as possible.
  • If you cannot escape, seek cover.
  • Try to warn others without endangering your own life.
  • Don’t try to be a hero.
  • Follow the instructions of the person threatening you.
  • Notify University Police, by calling 911.
Restraining Orders
Any student obtaining
a restraining order is expected to:
  • Notify University Police, by calling 2300.
  • Supply University Police with a copy of the order.
  • Include a description and photograph, if available, of the person against whom the restraining order is filed.
  • Notify the Dean of Students, as they can place additional restrictions in place.
An expected arrival of an individual against whom there is an active protective or restraining order:
  • Notify University Police, by calling 2300 or 911 if there is an emergency.