Skip to main content

Employment Eligibility

Students are employed on a priority basis, with UW-Green Bay students receiving first priority. Before students from other schools are considered, a position must be posted to UW-Green Bay students in Handshake for a minimum of two weeks. Supervisors are responsible for obtaining verification of enrollment (copy of class schedule which includes the student’s name and the institution’s name or a letter for the institution confirming enrollment for a certain date range).

  • Student employees must be at least 16 years old and enrolled at an institute for higher education or high school to be eligible for student employment.
  • Students must be enrolled for at least 1 credit.
Hiring Priorities:
  • Level 1: UW-Green Bay students, including new, transfer and specials, registered for at least one course in the term they are expected to work or enrolled for the subsequent term.
  • Level 2: Students enrolled at another UW school. Supervisors are responsible for obtaining verification of the student’s association with the school system.
  • Level 3: Students enrolled at a non-UW accredited university, technical college, vocational/trade school, or high school. Supervisors are responsible for obtaining verification of the student’s association with the school system.

International Students

International student employees can only work on campus, are not eligible for Federal Work Study and are only permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions and 40 hours per week during non-academic sessions. 

There are additional steps that international students must take to ensure proper taxation. The international student can review the UW-Service Center list of Application Requirements to find out which identification number is needed based on employment type. An F-1 or J-1 student who is also an employee would need a social security number. To get this social security number, the student would:

  1. Request a letter from their supervisor (sample letter)
  2. Complete the bottom of the Request for Social Security Letter form.
  3. Contact the Office of International Education at (920) 465-5164 or to schedule an appointment. The student must bring the above two documents to the appointment.
  4. After the appointment, contact the Social Security Office at 1-800-772-1213.
  5. After the student receives their Social Security Card, they can bring it to the Human Resources Office (Cofrin Library 7th floor, room 710). The Human Resources Office is open Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
  6. The student will also get an email from Glacier, which makes sure that their income taxes are applied correctly. UW System provides instructions on how to enter information on the Glacier website.

Employment support

The student employment experience is a team effort from multiple offices here at UW-Green Bay.

Financial Aid

Our financial aid office helps you understand the types of aid available to help fund your education.

Contact Financial Aid

Human Resources

Our human resources office helps with the hiring process, payroll schedules, eligibility and more.

Contact Human Resources

Career Services

Our career services office helps you prepare for your job search and find student job opportunities.

Contact Career Services