Skip to main content

Special Students


You plan to take a few classes with UW-Green Bay. We are glad to have you! Learn more about applying as a special, or non-degree seeking, student.

Apply Now

Female student studying on laptop with headphones

What does it mean to be a special student?


These are students who have graduated from high school and have not yet earned a baccalaureate degree, but are not currently pursuing a degree at UW-Green Bay.

Summer or winterim session only

Some students want to attend courses at UW-Green Bay only for the summer or winterim terms, and will use this option to transfer credits to another college where they are planning to complete a degree. Of course, any student wanting to use UW-Green Bay courses to fulfill requirements at another university should check with their primary university regarding how classes they take at UW-Green Bay will transfer.

Post baccalaureate special

These are students who already have a baccalaureate degree (or higher) and would like to enroll in undergraduate or graduate level courses.

High school students

Some high-achieving high school students want to get a jumpstart on college courses by taking classes at UW-Green Bay while in high school. Explore options for high school students.

Whatever your reason for being a Special Student, would love to have you take courses at UW-Green Bay.

Applying as a special student

With the exception of high school students, all other non-degree students should have graduated from high school at least two years prior to their desired entry term and be in good standing (academically and financially) at any previous institutions. Students who were previously denied admission to UW-Green Bay will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The two-year expectation may be waived for summer-only students.

Apply Now  

Ashton Choma

What student type am I?

You are going to have questions along the way. We have your back! Contact your admissions counselor with any of your next steps concerns.

Contact Us

Special Student Guide

A UWGB student completes her student teaching in an elementary classroom.

Am I a non-degree seeking student?

If you are planning to take a few courses but not pursue a degree (taking course during breaks, as a high school student, or after already earning a bachelor’s degree), you are a non-degree seeking student.

A UWGB student takes notes in class.

Options for high school students

Many high school students participate in the Early College Credit program. You can learn more about these program options.

A UWGB student partakes in mock counseling for a Social Work class.

Financial Aid

Please note, non-degree seeking students are not eligible to receive financial aid from the University.