Office of Admission

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Special Students

At UW-Green Bay, we call non-degree seeking students “Special Students.” Special Students earn UW-Green Bay credit which is permanently recorded on a UW-Green Bay transcript. Some students later transfer these credits to other colleges; some students never pursue a degree at all, but take the courses for personal reasons. It’s important to know that Special Students are not eligible for financial aid. Other than that, Special Students are much like other students. They participate in classes, do assignments, take exams, and earn grades, just like everyone else.

What is a “non-degree seeking” student?

Some students enroll at UW-Green Bay for a course or two, but have no immediate goal of pursuing a college degree. This might be done for personal interest or career advancement, or it might be done while in high school in order to get a head start on some college work. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place.


    Special Students may fall into a number of different categories:

    High School Special and Youth Options Program: High-achieving high school students who wish to enroll for college credit may fall into these categories. These students are typically enrolled in UW-Green Bay coursework concurrently with their high school coursework. Students pursuing admission through the Youth Options Program may be eligible to have their costs covered by their school district. See your school counselor for more information about Youth Options.

    Summer Session Only: Students who are attending other colleges and universities may wish to enroll at UW-Green Bay during their summer break. These students plan to return to their primary university for the regular school year, so this status carries no commitment for permission to enroll at UW-Green Bay for the regular academic year. Any student wanting to use UW-Green Bay courses to fulfill requirements at another university should check with their primary university regarding the transfer of credit for the courses they plan to take at UW-Green Bay.

    Special: These are students who have graduated from high school but have not yet earned a baccalaureate degree, and are not currently pursuing a degree at UW-Green Bay.

    Post Baccalaureate or Graduate Special: These are students who already have a baccalaureate degree (or higher) and would like to enroll in undergraduate or graduate level courses.


    While the review process for Special Students isn’t quite as in-depth as for degree-seeking students, there are certain expectations that should be met.

    High School Special and Youth Options Program: Typically, high school students are expected to meet the following guidelines:

    • • Be enrolled in high school as an 11th or 12thgrade student
    • • Be approved to participate in the program by your high school
    • • Be approved by the Office of Admissions at UW-Green Bay (review is comprehensive and selective, and may include factors such as GPA – usually a minimum of 3.4; ACT/SAT scores, if available; rigor of high school curriculum; and the UW-Green Bay course desired)
    • • Meet requirement for courses, such as having prerequisites or a certain placement test score

    Other Special Students: Typically, other Special Students should have graduated from high school at least two years prior to their desired entry term and be in good standing (academically and financially) at any previous institutions. Students who were previously denied admission to UW-Green Bay will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The two-year expectation may be waived for summer-only students.

  • How To Apply

    All Special Students begin the application process in the same way: go to to find the online application. When asked the “Reason for Applying,” make sure to select “Special Student.”

    Often, the completed application will be the only information required. If we require further information, we will let you know.

    High school students must also supply the Enrollment Information and Approval Form, and an official high school transcript (sent to us directly from the high school). In addition, Youth Options Program students must submit the Youth Options Program Plan and Report (DPI Form PI-8700A).

    International Students: Because of specific guidelines regarding the enrollment of international students as Special Students, please call the Admissions Office at 920.465.2111 for application information.

    Deadlines: For students not seeking a degree at UW-Green Bay (special students), these deadlines apply: **

    For the Spring of 2016, the application deadline is Tuesday, January 26, 2016 and the completion deadline is Wednesday, January 27, 2016..