Skip to main content

MS Environmental Science & Policy Admissions

1 Admission Requirements

  • A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
  • A 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
  • Completion of an undergraduate introductory statistics course, or equivalent.

If you do not meet minimum entrance requirements, you may be admitted on a provisional basis. You can enroll in graduate courses without pursuing a degree by enrolling as special students.

Graduate Record Examination scores are NOT required for application to the Environmental Science and Policy Graduate Program.

2 To apply, submit the following:

  1. UW-Green Bay e-application ($56.00 application fee)
  2. Official transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended. Electronic transcripts must be sent to UWGB Admissions at directly from the institution that issued the transcript.
    • If you attended less than 9 credits you do not have to send an official transcript unless the courses completed were pre-requisites for the program. Study abroad transcripts are not required if a student attended an international University for one or fewer semesters. UW-Green Bay retains the right to request additional official transcripts from all/or additional postsecondary institutions of higher learning attended by an applicant.
  3. Two letters of recommendationor evaluation:
    • Preferred: One letter from a faculty advisor, and one from an employer.
    • Alternate option: Two letters from faculty advisors.
    • Applicants are welcome to use the letter of evaluation form or can request traditional reference letters.
    • All letters of evaluation/recommendation must come directly from the evaluator. The Office of Graduate Studies will not accept letters submitted by the applicant.
  4. A 200-300 word Statement of Interest in the program. Describe your qualifications, scientific interests, research experiences and potential faculty advisors (if seeking the Thesis Option).

Selection of a desired track is encouraged at the time of application but not required. You'll be admitted in the Course-Based Track unless you indicate which track you'd like to complete (Thesis, Internship or Course-Based).

  • If you're interested in the Thesis Track, you'll need to speak with and identify in the Statement of Interest an advisor willing to supervise the thesis at the time of application. Find an advisor.
  • Students interested in the Internship and Course-Based Tracks must contact the Chair of the ES&P Graduate Program regarding internship opportunities, expectations and program details at the time of application.

3 For international students:

In addition to the application materials listed above, international students will also need to provide the following documentation:

  • A test of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS)
  • Course-by-course transcript evaluation from a professional evaluation service currently recognized by NACES ( UW-Green Bay recommends one of the following evaluation services:

Finding an Advisor

Your advisor will help you choose which degree option is right for you, as well as guide you in course and emphasis area selection. 

For thesis option students, they will help you determine your research project and program of study, choose your committee and guide and advise you through the completion of your thesis. 

Review our faculty and identify individuals that are working in areas that interest you, and what kinds of projects their past students worked on. 

Meet Our Faculty

Contacting Potential Advisors

Once you have identified one or more faculty members whose work you have reviewed, contact them via email. Be sure to provide a short introduction that includes your general educational and career goals, as well as your research interests.

Questions to ask a potential advisor:

  • Are they currently accepting students?
  • What projects are they actively seeking students to fill?
  • How do they run their lab?
  • Do they have regular meetings with their students and staff?
  • What laboratory and office space and resources are available for graduate students?
  • What types of funding do they think would be available to fund graduate student research?
Patrick Forsythe

Ask Our Experts

Patrick Forsythe is an expert at understanding fish populations. He's also an expert at answering questions from students about our graduate program, too.

Contact Us