Skip to main content

Graduate Special

If you have a baccalaureate degree or higher, and want to enroll in graduate courses or in a graduate level certificate program at UW-Green Bay but don't plan on pursuing a graduate degree, you can enroll as a graduate special student.

*Graduate special students are not eligible for financial aid.

You're classified as a graduate special (single course or certificate seeking) student if you're:

  • looking for a graduate certificate
  • transferring credit to another program outside of UW-Green Bay
  • taking courses for personal enrichment

Graduate credit will be awarded provided you register in graduate-level courses as a graduate special student and pay graduate fees*. Credits for which neither graduate fees were paid nor graduate credit awarded cannot be retroactively converted to graduate credits.Not all graduate courses are open to graduate special students.

Graduate special students are not eligible for independent study, internships or culminating experiences (e.g. thesis or capstone projects).

If you decide to pursue a UW-Green Bay graduate degree, you must submit an application and be admitted to enter your degree program. Often the credits earned as a graduate special student may be applied toward the degree; however, this isn't guaranteed. You can earn a maximum of 50% toward a graduate degree of a program's credits as a graduate special student at UW-Green Bay prior to matriculation into the degree program.

If you're a UW-Green Bay undergraduate student and you want to:

  • take an undergraduate-graduate accelerated course, view the process in our course catalog.
  • take a graduate-level course without any accelerated courses available, learn more.
Marci Hoffman, Graduate Studies staff

Get in Touch

Whatever your reason for taking a graduate course, we're here to help you pursue further education. If you have any questions, ask us!

Contact Us