Skip to main content

International Students

You are an international applicant if you are NOT a U.S. citizen, immigrant or green card holder. Unless you are enrolling in an online program, International students must have a visa status that allows academic study at UW-Green Bay. International applicants include students who hold U.S. visas, such as: F-1, J-1 Exchange Visa, H-1, F-2 Dependent Visa, or any other non-immigrant classifications. Please note that we are unable to provide visas through our online or MBA programs.

Before you submit an application, please confirm that the program you are interested in allows part-time study. New U.S. government regulations (issued June 2015), permits dependents (F-2) of international students to engage in study at SEVP-certified schools in the U.S., as long as they are only enrolled part-time. Although dependents can only study part-time, that part-time study can result in the attainment of a degree. However, the dependent with F-2 status would not be eligible for any employment - including on-campus, CPT, or OPT. If a dependent with F-2 status wants to enroll at UW-Green Bay as a full-time graduate student, they must apply for and obtain approval to change their non-immigrant classification to F-1 or J-1.

Admission Requirements

International student applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution and meet requirements of the program to which the application is directed. Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country. Applicants must provide a course-by-course Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials from a professional evaluation service currently recognized by NACES ( for review. UW-Green Bay recommends one of the following evaluation services:

These professional evaluations must be sent directly to UW-Green Bay's Office of Graduate Studies. If your degree was granted from an institution within the U.S., you may send official transcripts instead of an evaluation.

View All Admissions Requirements

English Proficiency

Every applicant whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate instruction was not provided in English, must submit an English proficiency test score. Your score will not be accepted if it is more than two years old. Full admission to the graduate school requires one of the following test scores:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - minimum score of 79 iBT (or 550 on the PBT). All TOEFL scores should be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies from the testing service. The institution code for the TOEFL is 1859.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - minimum composite score of 6.5. IELTS unofficial test scores can be emailed to The Office of Graduate Studies will verify official scores through the IELTS website.
  • Duolingo English Test - minimum score of 110. All Duolingo English Test scores should be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies from Duolingo. Instructions on sharing your score can be found on the Duolingo website.


The English proficiency requirement is waived for applicants with post-secondary degrees from a U.S. institution and/or who hold citizenship from one of the countries listed below.

AntiguaGuyanaSierra Leone
Antigua and BarbudaIrelandSingapore
AustraliaJamaicaSolomon Islands
BahamasKenyaSouth Africa
BarbadosLiberiaTrinidad and Tobago
BelizeNew ZealandUganda
Canada: all provinces except QuebecNigeriaUnited Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales)
FijiSaint Kitts and NevisZambia
GhanaSaint LuciaZambia
GrenadaSaint Vincent and the Grenadines

Conditional Admissions

Graduate departments may recommend a student for Conditional Admission if the prospective student meets all Graduate College requirements except the minimum English proficiency requirement.

If a prospective graduate student does not meet the English language proficiency requirement for full admission to the graduate school, UW-Green Bay may provide conditional admission at the graduate level through several ESL programs. For conditional admission, a student must apply to UW-Green Bay and to one of the programs below (at the same time). The initial I-20 will be issued by the partner ESL program. If admissible to UW-Green Bay, a conditional admission letter will be issued by UW-Green Bay and will be included with the partner program's I-20 for the student to use during the visa interview. For graduate study, students are to use only one of the listed English language training programs:

Questions regarding Immigration and Naturalization procedures can be found Visa Information. Information on campus life can be addressed to the Office of International Education, Cofrin Library, 207.

Transferring International Students

International students transferring from another college or university within the United States must complete and submit the Transfer Clearance Form in order to obtain an I-20 from UW-Green Bay.

International students currently studying in the United States, who have applied and been accepted into a degree seeking academic graduate program at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (UW-Green Bay), must complete the first section of the Transfer Clearance Form. The Designated School Official of the college or university they are presently attending must fill out the remaining sections and send directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, or UW-Green Bay, Office of Graduate Studies, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311-7001.

Application Deadlines

Deadlines for each program are determined by the faculty of that graduate program and can be found on our Graduate Application Deadlines page.

International students requesting a student visa need to have their application complete and have received an official admission letter by November 1st for the Spring semester, or June 1st for the Fall semester.

International Financial Information

International applicants are required to have adequate financial resources to cover expenses for the duration of their studies at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.

  • Financial Support Statement (PDF) (print this form and submit to address indicated).
  • KEDGE Financial Support Statement (PDF) (ONLY for M.S. Management KEDGE Students).
  • Bank Statement: Letter on official bank stationary verifying the amount of readily available funds to support the prospective student.

Health Insurance Plan

The Health Insurance Plan (Student Assurance Services, Inc.) is mandatory for international students and their dependents living in the U.S.

Phoenix Scholar Award

The Phoenix Scholar Awards provide a discounted tuition rate to qualified non-resident graduate students who meet the academic and residency criteria. This is not “financial aid” nor is it a “scholarship” in the traditional sense. Instead, it is a lower tuition rate offered to qualifying graduate students.

Learn More


On-campus accommodation is available and you may apply for housing at the Office of Housing and Residential Education website. However, the University does not offer housing for married students or families. There are many off-campus accommodations available within two miles of the school.

Sarah Denis, Graduate Admissions Recruiter

We Are Here to Help

Being of service is what gives Sarah Denis, our Graduate Admissions Recruiter, a real spark. Why not put her to the test? She'd love to hear from you. You can also contact our International Education office. They oversee all international student applications.

Contact Us