The Community Health Nursing Practicum (Nursing 455, 3 credits) complements the theory, models and concepts learned in 454 Community Health Nursing. It is a practice component that brings community health nursing into reality. The focus is on disease prevention and health promotion for individuals, families, aggregates and communities.
Clinical placements are made on a “first come, first serve” basis once you have completed all prerequisites. The Practicum course often fills prior to the designated deadline, so it is to your advantage to complete the prerequisites early.
The five key steps to complete the prerequisites for the 455 Community Health Nursing Practicum course are:
- Sign up for a Viewpoint Screening: The UW-Green Bay nursing program requires background checks and health prerequisite documentation through Viewpoint Screening. Once you have determined the semester you plan to enroll in the practicum course, request the student instructions for the background check and health portal from Practicum Assistant Kaitlin Williams.
- Pay the $65 fee for the background check and health document tracker and review. The background check is valid for four years from the date of order.
Note: Some practicum agencies have additional requirements for student participation in their settings. These may include, but are not limited to, documentation of a physical examination or drug screening. The cost of such requirements is the responsibility of the student. Students are advised of these requirements by faculty so that they can be completed before the practicum experience begins.
- Completion of Requirements: Once you have completed your background check and health portal requirements, send an email to Kaitlin Williams letting her know all items are complete.
- Fill out the Demographic and Public Health agency survey:
- After your email of completion is received, the Practicum Assistant will send you a Qualtrics survey to complete requesting your demographic information and public health agency placement choices.
- Complete 454 Community Health Nursing (theory) prior to the Practicum or be concurrently enrolled during the Practicum.
- Spring: October 1
- Summer: February 1
- Fall: March 1
Identify County/City Public Health Agency Information
For Community Health Nursing Practicum, you are required to complete 70 hours in an official public/community health setting. Practicum placement is contingent on accurate information (name, address, phone, website, contact person) for your three preferred community health sites. Faculty will attempt to place you in your first choice, however, when unavailable, they will attempt to place you in your second and third options. Incomplete or inaccurate information may result in a delay or inability to place you in a practicum site.
To determine an appropriate community health practicum site, search for your county health department on the Internet. The placement faculty will arrange your primary placement on your behalf; do not contact the agency.
If you reside in Wisconsin or neighboring states, you may find information about your county health department at the following websites:
If you reside in another state, search for your public health department information on the internet.
Want to learn more about Public Health Nurses? Check out Shining a Spotlight on Pennsylvania's Public Health Nurses