International Graduate Students

A very warm welcome from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay! Thank you for considering the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay for your graduate studies. If you are looking for a great education, beautiful campus, and a friendly environment - you are looking at the right university. Our University has a rich tradition of supporting international applicants and students. Our graduate programs attract students of diverse cultural backgrounds from around the globe. Explore our programs to find the best fit for you. You will find UW-Green Bay to be an excellent choice for graduate study!

Admissions Requirements

Application Fee ($56)

Each program application requires completion of an online application form and submission of a separate application fee. Applications can only be accepted once the payment has been received. To complete an online application, select this link, register as a new user, and follow the provided instructions.


A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 during the last two years of undergraduate school or a master's degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required. All GPAs are based on a 4.00 scale.


International student applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution and meet requirements of the program to which the application is directed. Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country. Applicants must provide a course-by-course Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials from a professional evaluation service currently recognized by NACES ( for review. UW-Green Bay recommends one of the following evaluation services:

These professional evaluations must be sent directly to UW-Green Bay's Office of Graduate Studies.  

Letters of Evaluation

An additional requirement for your application is the Letters of Evaluation or traditional Reference Letter requirement. Each graduate program has their own Letter of Evaluation form (available below) or traditional Reference Letter requirement. Applicants must fill out the first two sections of the Letter of Evaluation form, save, and send to each evaluator. Each evaluator must fill out the remaining sections, or complete their traditional Reference Letters, and send directly to the Office of Graduate Studies email or mail to:

UW-Green Bay
Office of Graduate Studies
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI 54311
Form Links

*Please note that Letters of Evaluation and traditional Reference Letters will not be accepted from the applicant. The documents must be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies directly from the evaluator.

English Proficiency

Every applicant whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate instruction was not provided in English, must submit an English proficiency test score. Your score will not be accepted if it is more than two years old. Full admission to the graduate school requires one of the following test scores:

For a complete list of acceptable alternatives to the TOEFL exam, such as the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency and the International English Language Testing System, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies. All scores should be sent directly to us from the testing service. The institution code for the TOEFL and IELTS is 1859.

International applicants are exempt from the English language test requirement if they have:

Transferring International Students

International students transferring from another college or university within the United States must complete and submit the Transfer Clearance Form in order to obtain an I-20 from UW-Green Bay.

International students currently studying in the United States, who have applied and been accepted into a degree seeking academic graduate program at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (UW-Green Bay), must complete the first section of the Transfer Clearance Form. The Designated School Official of the college or university they are presently attending must fill out the remaining sections and send directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, or

UW-Green Bay
Office of Graduate Studies
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001


Application Deadlines

Deadlines for each program are determined by the faculty of that graduate program. Deadlines can be found in the graduate program listing, select a graduate program.

International Financial Information

International applicants are required to have adequate financial resources to cover expenses for the duration of their studies at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. The approximate expenses for nine months are approximately as follows (in USD): Tuition $19,400.00; Housing $4,300.00; Meals $2,700.00; Books & Supplies $600.00; Health and Accident Insurance $1,600.00; Total $28,600.00. Please note that these costs are an estimate and not guaranteed.

Health Insurance Plan

The Health Insurance Plan (Student Assurance Services, Inc.) is mandatory for international students and their dependents living in the U.S.

Phoenix Scholar Award

The Phoenix Scholar Awards provide a discounted tuition rate to qualified non-resident graduate students who meet the academic and residency criteria. This is not “financial aid” nor is it a “scholarship” in the traditional sense. Instead, it is a lower tuition rate offered to qualifying graduate students. Click here to learn more about these awards for out-of-state and international students.

Conditional Admissions

If a prospective graduate student does not meet the English language proficiency requirement for full admission to the graduate school, UW-Green Bay may provide conditional admission at the graduate level through several ESL programs. For conditional admission, a student must apply to UW-Green Bay and to one of the programs below (at the same time). The initial I-20 will be issued by the partner ESL program. If admissible to UW-Green Bay, a conditional admission letter will be issued by UW-Green Bay and will be included with the partner program's I-20 for the student to use during the visa interview. For graduate study, students are to use only one of the listed English language training programs:

Questions regarding Immigration and Naturalization procedures can be found Visa Information. Information on campus life can be addressed to the Office of International Education, Cofrin Library, 207

Looking for program information?

Learn about all of the graduate programs offered through UW-Green Bay.