Skip to main content

Challenging a Course Policy Application

Students have the right to seek resolution when they believe they have been subjected to an unfair application of a course policy by a UW-Green Bay instructor. Students are directed to the process outlined below.

Academic Dispute Process

  1. Attempt to resolve the matter informally, by talking directly with the instructor about the concern.
  2. If the matter remains unresolved, the student should contact the chairperson of the relevant academic unit. Access a listing of program chairs.
  3. If the matter remains unresolved after speaking with the chair, the student should file this Academic Dispute Form. The form will be routed to the relevant Associate Dean. Once the request for review is received, the Associate Dean will investigate the matter and may:
    1. Attempt to mediate the dispute.
    2. Determine that the nature of the request is outside the scope of this review and refer the request to the appropriate process.
    3. Collect information regarding the dispute and refer to the Dean for determination.
    4. Request assistance from other support units, e.g. Dean of Students, Office of Student Accessibility Services, etc. to facilitate resolution.

The Associate Dean will attempt to resolve the matter, but is not compelled to do so. In the event that a resolution is not found, the instructor’s initial determination shall be applied. The Associate Dean shall indicate to both parties that the review is completed, and the student shall be advised of the right to request review by the Provost.

  1. If the dispute is not resolved, the student may submit in writing (via email) a request for review to the Provost within (10) business days of receiving notice from the Associate Dean. The request shall indicate the facts of the dispute; the steps taken to resolve the dispute both formally and informally; and the requested outcome of the appeal. The Provost has fifteen (15) business days to decide and report the decision, in writing, to both parties. The Provost may:
    1. Solicit additional information from the parties, including but not limited to interviewing both parties, requesting additional information from either party, reviewing the matter with the Associate Dean and/or Dean.
    2. Refer the matter to a different Office or process for resolution.
    3. Make a determination based on the information received.

The decision of the Provost shall be final.