Skip to main content

Driver Authorization

Driving any vehicle for University business is not a right, but a privilege. Driver Authorization is mandatory for University officers, employees, students, or agents who are required to operate a vehicle while on University business.  A Driver Authorization allows authorized users to fall under the University’s liability protection while acting within the scope of their employment. The University Driver Authorization Standards are within the UW System Driver Authorization Policy and the Permitted Vehicle Use Matrix.

Who Must Become an Authorized Driver?

Any employee, student or volunteer operating a vehicle for University business is required to become an Authorized Driver while operating the following:

  • State or University owned or leased vehicles,
  • Rented vehicles, or
  • Personal vehicles

Minimum Requirements

To be eligible to be authorized driver, all drivers at a minimum must:

  1. Have a valid operator's license.
    • Residents of Wisconsin must obtain a Wisconsin license within 30 days of establishing residency.
    • Individuals with an out of country license (with the exception of Canada) must obtain a Wisconsin license, if they want to drive a vehicle on University business.
  2. Have a minimum of two (2) year’s licensed driving experience (not including instructional experience).
  3. Be 18 years of age.

Authorization will be denied if driving record reflects any of the following:

  • Three (3) or more moving violations, and/or at-fault accidents in the past two (2) years.
  • An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI), Driving Under the Influence (DUI), or Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) violation within the last 12 months.
  • License has been reinstated for less than one (1)year after revocation;
  • An expired, suspended or revoked driver's license;
  • Possession of an occupational license only;
  • Less than two (2) years driving experience.

By requesting to be an Authorized Driver, the individual agrees to inform their supervisor and the Risk Manager whenever any negative change in the status of their driving record occurs. Any negative change in the status of an individual's driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on university business.

Note these requirements represent a minimum driving record to qualify for authorization. It remains the discretion of the Risk Manager to grant authorization.

Before You Register. . .

You will need the following items to register and complete your Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA). Have them ready before you start the registration process.

  • Your UWGB login and password
  • Your driver's license number
  • Your Supervisor's Name and Email Address
  • The UDDS Code for Your Department (e.g. UD000000). Ask your supervisor for the appropriate UDDS code, search the listing of codes or check with the VUA Campus Coordinator at Entry of the UDDS code requires you first select "UW GREEN BAY" from the UW CAMPUS pick list. Then, click into the UW UDDS Code text box and type the letters UD followed by the six digits of your UDDS. Then click the search icon, the drop down box will open and highlight your code. Click on the code to populate the field.
  • Out-of-State License holders will need to upload a PDF copy of their driving abstract/driving record and a legible copy of their license (front and back) via the portal (there are two upload buttons for this purpose in the Out of State section). When one scans the copies, rename to MVR & DL respectively. Driving records may be obtained from the applicable Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the respective State. We only require the non-certified copy. We recommend obtaining records directly from respective State’s DMV, as these are less expensive verses commercial record sites, but commercial sites are acceptable if all details are provided (driver’s identity, license number, license status, including their driving record with details on: traffic accidents, traffic violations, driver license suspensions, driver license revocations, driver license cancellations, etc.).

REGISTER as an Authorized Driver

Access Enterprise Fleet Management System 

Once logged into the system, you can also review the Portal User Guide or click the UWGB VUA Instructions for more help.

  1. Select the "UW" employee type and the "UW Green Bay" campus
  2. Login with your UWGB login
  3. Under New Fleet Driver Section select Vehicle Use Agreement and follow instructions to submit

Please allow up to ten (10) business days for processing a Vehicle Use Authorization (VUA). Failure to follow the instructions below may delay processing for an additional ten (10) business days.

Volunteers without a UWGB login are not able to access this system.  Email for a Volunteer Vehicle Use Agreement. 


Once the Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) process is completed, your record will be uploaded and reviewed against established driver authorization criteria by the UW Green Bay Office of Risk Management.

Applicants and Supervisors will be notified of approval or denial within 10 business days via email.

All VUA's that do not have the proper attachments or having missing supervisor information will be denied until proper information is provided.

Renewal, Termination and Suspension

Once an employee is authorized to drive in their capacity as an employee, the authorization will continue so long as they continue to be employed by UWGB and continue to maintain an appropriate driving record. An annual driving record review of all University employees who have submitted a Vehicle Use Agreement is conducted by the Wisconsin Department of Administration. 

An employee who no longer meets the University Driver Authorization Standards for operating a University vehicle shall have his or her agreement suspended until such time that it can be demonstrated the standards have been met again.  During this time, the individual is no longer covered under the Universities liability protection and any use is not approved and solely under the individual's personal auto coverage.

Authorized Drivers are required to:

  • Report immediately to Risk Management any conviction or other action, which would negatively affect the minimum driving requirements.
  • Maintain a valid driver license in good standing to maintain authorization and shall report immediately the expiration, suspension or revocation of driver licenses.

Student authorizations must be completed annually.  All authorizations will be purged from the authorization list on August 31 of the academic year.  It will be necessary for the student to re-submit the Vehicle Use Agreement after September 1 to renew their authorization.


If you have any questions, please contact your VUA Coordinator at 920-465-2693 or