Skip to main content


Why would a student go to the Dean of Students Office?

The Dean of Students Office can help students work through many questions and concerns. Students often land in the Dean of Students Office when they are not clear about where to turn for help. The staff is focused on problem solving and can help when:

  1. Students become ill or have an emergency situation causing them to miss class for 3 or more consecutive school days. Students have to eventually contact their professors, but Dean of Students staff can help students work through this process in a timely manner.
  2. Students feel like they are not getting answers to their questions. Staff can refer students to appropriate resources and help students connect with the appropriate university staff or faculty members.
  3. Students need a place to problem solve and work through complex issues with a professional staff member.
  4. Students feel mistreated and want to find out about their rights and due process.
  5. Students need a neutral person to mediate or work through issues they are facing on campus.

What if a student has to miss class for 3 or more school days due to severe illness, family emergency, crisis situation or some other unforeseen situation?

The student or family member can call the Dean of Student Office at their earliest opportunity to notify the University of the situation and request our staff to notify the faculty for the current semester. When the student returns to campus, they are responsible for negotiating missed class, assignments and exams with each faculty member. Documentation related to the medical or emergency situation may be required. The Dean of Students Staff will work with the student to problem solve and look at options for continuing all classes, dropping, withdrawing, etc. depending on the individual situation and details related to the student’s potential for future success. Emergency and hardship situations tend to be very complex, but the key is to communicate with the faculty and Dean of Students Office to work through the details.

How safe is the UW-Green Bay campus?

UW-Green Bay is a safety leader among Wisconsin college campuses, and works hard to keep safety a priority on our campus. For complete information about our University Police Office, and to view our Annual Security Report, visit Univeristy Police Web site.

What should a student do if the feel that they have not been treated fairly by a faculty or staff member?

Differences of opinion and misunderstandings can occur in any community and the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has procedures that ensure students’ rights to file a grievance or make a complaint. Approaching the faculty or staff person with which there may be a problem to discuss the issue is usually the first step. Students may contact Dean of Students staff for advice on how to proceed and bring resolution to the conflict.

What if a student becomes ill while at UW-Green Bay?

The Wellness Center is a medical facility located on campus. Nurses, doctors and counselors are available. Visit the Wellness Center's Web site for more information.

How is the Dean of Students Office notified of allegations of misconduct?

Reports of alleged misconduct can be reported in a number of different ways: Incident Reports generated by Housing & Residential Education staff, University Police reports, Faculty and Staff referrals, as well as personal reports from students. Any campus community member is welcome to submit a report via the following webpage. (Report an Incident)

What happens if a student is "written up" by a RM for an alleged violation?

Students can expect to receive a letter within a couple of days requiring them to meet with either a Dean of Students or Housing and Residential Education professional staff member for a conduct meeting. The brochure, "UW Green Bay Student Conduct Process" (PDF) will be enclosed with the notification letter, which explains the disciplinary process. See What Happens Now? for more information.

What is a conduct meeting?

A conduct meeting or conference is held for the purpose of reviewing the incident report and hearing the student’s side of what happened. During the conference we will discuss the student’s behavior, the basis for the allegations, ascertaining the facts and determining responsibility. We also clear up any questions regarding student policies to help avoid future issues.

What happens after a conduct meeting?

Based upon the information presented during a conduct meeting, a determination is made with regards to responsibility for the alleged violation(s). If a student is found not responsible, the matter is considered resolved and no further action is taken. The student will be notified of the finding by letter.

If a student is found responsible for violating student conduct/University policy, educational sanctions will be determined and the student will be informed in writing of the decision, the required sanctions, instruction for how to complete the sanctions and the related deadlines.

What is a educational sanction?

Educational sanctions are intended to address the inappropriate conduct in a developmental manner, constructed with a a restorative justice outcome. The sanction(s) provides the student with the opportunity to reexamine personal choices, behavior and decision-making.

Sanctions can range from a written reprimand to permanent expulsion from the University. Examples of commonly assigned sanctions include: alcohol education courses, community service, or a creative sanction. Creative sanctions may involve writing a paper, or developing an informational brochure for campus apartments or residence halls.

Will disciplinary sanctions appear on student records?

Disciplinary sanctions of suspension and expulsion will appear on the official academic transcript for the term of that sanction. A separate disciplinary file is maintained by the Dean of Students Office that contains a full record of a student’s conduct history. Student conduct records are kept for their prescribed period of time, then confidentially destroyed.

Will parents, potential employers, landlords, or other persons be notified or informed of a disciplinary action or record?

Student conduct records are protected by FERPA, a federal regulation which provides protection for educational records. Most student conduct records will not be shared outside of the university unless students provide a release of information. Exceptions are made in health and safety emergencies and as allowed for drug and alcohol violations. University officials may have access to records on a need-to-know basis. Click here for more information on FERPA.

Where can I go to find more information about the student misconduct process?

Information about the student misconduct process may be found on the Dean of Students website. Questions about the student misconduct process may also be forwarded to

Who should students/faculty/staff call if they feel harassed by a student?

Dean of Students staff are available to consult with students, faculty and staff members who feel they, or others are being abused or harassed by a student or students. Staff will discuss constructive actions and options for addressing the problem behavior. If the situation is serious or life threatening, call 911 or University Police.

Who should faculty contact if they feel a student is responsible for Academic Misconduct?

Academic misconduct is outlined in UWS Chapter 14. Faculty can find information about addressing academic misconduct by consulting the faculty guide found on the Dean of Students website. Please contact the Dean of Students office with questions regarding Academic Misconduct.

Instructors are required to meet with the student first to determine if alleged academic misconduct can be confirmed. After the meeting, if the instructor determines that academic misconduct has occurred, Dean of Students staff can assist faculty in identifying necessary procedures to address the misconduct.

What kind of student issues can faculty/staff refer to the Dean of Students Office?

The Dean of Students Office staff support students in answering questions, solving problems and in coping with the unexpected emergencies of life. Faculty and staff are encouraged to refer students to the Dean of Students Office if they notice anything of concern about a particular student, i.e. the student’s grades drop dramatically, the student appears to be having personal or family issues, concern for student’s general well-being, etc. While Dean of Students staff does not expect faculty/staff to serve as a counselor to students, your assistance is requested and appreciated in ensuring that students in need are noticed and receive assistance.

What should an individual do if they haven’t seen a student in awhile and feel they may be missing?

Contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 920-465-2152 or University Police at 920-465-2300 for assistance.

How do faculty and staff handle classroom disruptions?

While the primary responsibility for managing the classroom environment rests with the instructor; students who engage in any prohibited or unlawful acts that result in a disruption of a class may be directed by the instructor to leave the class for the remainder of the class period. Institutional non-academic discipline is administrated through the Dean of Students Office in accordance with UWS Chapter 17.

If a student appears to be a threat to self or others, contact University Police at (920) 465-2300 or 911 for immediate assistance.

What should a student do when they have a family member that died?

The University has an official bereavement policy that may be enacted when a student has a family member that dies. Faculty, staff or peers should refer students to the Dean of Students office following notification of death of a student’s family member. Dean of Students staff will assist the student in enacting the policy.

Counseling services are also available on campus.