Skip to main content

Financial Aid Pay Permission

Title IV funds are federal student aid grants and loans administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Regulations allow schools to use a student’s federal aid to pay for certain institutional charges as well as other charges for which the student grants permission.

Title IV Funds

The following federal student aid grants and loans are subject to student permission for some educational costs.

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan (Parent or Graduate student)
  • Federal TEACH Grant

Applicable Costs

Some college costs don't require a student's permission, and others do.

Don't Need Permission

Title IV aid can pay toward these allowable institutional charges without an authorization:

  • Tuition
  • Mandatory Fees such as segregated, orientation, graduation and course fees
  • Room and Meal Plans, if contracted with the University

Require Student Permission

With student permission, Title IV aid can also be used toward:

  • Parking Permit
  • Phlash Cash
  • Books
  • Printing Points
  • Study Abroad Charges
  • Repayment of Short-term loans

Common Questions

Why should I grant Financial Aid Pay Permission?

Your authorization to use federal aid to pay educationally related charges beyond tuition, fees, room and board (contracted through the University) will assist in settling your student account. This will reduce the likelihood of late charges and finance fees.

How do I grant Financial Aid Pay Permission?

Log into the Student Information System (SIS), select Financial Aid Pay Permissions from the To Do List, and follow the directions within the authorization. The Student Billing Resources website has detailed instructions.

How often do I need to grant Financial Aid Pay Permission?

One time; authorization goes into effect at the time of submission and will remain in effect for your entire University of Wisconsin-Green Bay career, unless you rescind authorization.

What if I don’t grant Financial Aid Pay Permission?

Available federal aid will only pay toward tuition, mandatory fees, housing and meal plans (contracted through the University) with any excess aid refunded to the student. A student may receive a refund but still have other charges due the University. It remains the student’s responsibility to monitor their student account throughout their enrollment and resolve any outstanding balances.

What if I granted Financial Aid Pay Permission but later decide to rescind permission?

You may cancel or modify an authorization in writing at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Student Billing Resources Office, Student Services 1300, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311-7001 during office hours or call (920) 465-2224 for more information. A cancellation or modification is not retroactive.

If I grant Financial Aid Pay Permission, will my aid cover all charges on my account?

Not necessarily. Not all students will have enough aid to cover all of their charges. Also, not all aid can be used to pay all types of charges. For example, federal aid can never pay late or finance fees. In some cases, a student may receive an aid refund but still have a balance due. Students will want to use an aid refund to pay a balance due prior to spending the funds on other educationally related expenses.

We're Here to Help.

Have questions about giving financial aid pay permission for your federal student loan or grant? Just ask!

Contact Us