Skip to main content

Grants & Waivers

Grants are types of aid that do not have to be paid back. Waivers provide a reduction of tuition.

Federal Grants

Education grants offered by the United States federal government are listed below.

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based offer that does not need to be repaid. Full or part-time undergraduate students obtaining their first bachelor's degree may be eligible. The amount offered is dependent on the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC), enrollment status (number of credits each term) and the school's cost of attendance.

Effective July 1, 2012, federal regulations limit the lifetime eligibility of Pell Grant received to the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters (6 years). Less than full-time offers are prorated and remaining eligibility is tracked by the U.S. Department of Education.

Back to top

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) does not need to be repaid and is for first-degree undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who receive the Federal Pell Grant and those with the lowest Expected Family Contributions.

Back to top

Children of Fallen Heroes Grant

A student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer may qualify for funding through the federal government. The student must be Pell grant eligible based on the FAFSA and be less than 24 years or age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent's or guardian's death.

Back to top

Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

A federal grant available to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11 and were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. The grant offer is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant.

Back to top

State Grants

Education grants offered by the State of Wisconsin are listed below.

Wisconsin Grant

The Wisconsin Grant provides assistance to Wisconsin resident students obtaining their first undergraduate degree. Students must be enrolled at least half time at a University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, private nonprofit or Tribal institutions. The grant does not need to be repaid. Offers are based on financial need and eligibility is determined by a formula set annually by the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB). Funds are limited. Students are limited to 10 semesters of eligibility based on the FAFSA.

Back to top

Tuition Assistance Grant

The Wisconsin Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) is a need-based State grant program for undergraduate Wisconsin residents. Students must have unmet need and be enrolled in at least 6 credits for a term.

Back to top

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant (UMRG)

Offers under this program are made to full-time, Wisconsin resident, minority students seeking their first undergraduate degree. UW-Green Bay offers up to $3,000 per student per year, for up to 4 years. However, offers are not guaranteed from year to year. According to State statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is African American, American Indian, Hispanic (person of any race whose ancestors originated in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central or South America, or whose culture of origin is Spanish); or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam, admitted to the U. S. after December 31, 1975.

Consideration for an offer includes meeting the above criteria as well as:

  1. Being sophomore standing or higher (completed at least 24 credits).
  2. Having a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and meet all other Satisfactory Academic Progress measurements.
  3. Showing financial need, as measured by an annual FAFSA application. With limited funding in this program, not all qualifying students will receive an offer. Early filing of the FAFSA application is encouraged each year. Changes in financial resources may affect student eligibility.
  4. Successfully completing a minimum of 24 credits each year once the offer is given.

No additional application is required. Priority for initial offers will be given to students based on cumulative UW-Green Bay GPA. The Financial Aid office will email students to notify them of this offer. You will be informed of additional required activities to be completed prior to receipt of funds and/or prior to future consideration. Those may include online financial programming, participation in activities developed by Multicultural Resource Center and individual meetings with the Multicultural Resource Center staff to develop a plan for academic success.

Back to top

Wisconsin Indian Grant

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin residents who are at least 25% Native American (as verified by the student's Tribal education office) and are undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, independent colleges and universities or proprietary institutions based in Wisconsin. Awards are based on financial need with a limit of 10 semesters of eligibility. The Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) has an informal matching arrangement with grant funds offered by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs and Wisconsin Tribal governments.

Back to top

Talent Incentive Program Grant

The Wisconsin Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant provides grant assistance to the most financially needy and educationally disadvantaged Wisconsin resident students attending colleges and universities in the State of Wisconsin. First-time freshmen students are nominated for the TIP Grant by the school financial aid offices or by counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Programs (WEOP). To continue to receive the TIP Grant, students must be enrolled consecutive terms and continue to show financial need. Eligibility cannot exceed 10 semesters. Funding for the TIP Grant is provided by both the State of Wisconsin and the Federal Government.

Back to top

Study Abroad Grant

The Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant is for undergraduate Wisconsin resident students enrolled in a program leading to a first bachelor's degree. The student must demonstrate financial need (based on the FAFSA) and must be enrolled full-time in the semester preceding the study abroad semester. The grant is limited to participation in a long-term study abroad program (8 weeks in duration or longer) administered by UW-Green Bay or any other Universities of Wisconsin Institution. The amount of grant is between $500-$2,000, and priority will be given to applicants who have not received the grant for a prior term. Applications are available through the Office of International Education.

Back to top

Hearing/Visually Handicapped Student Grant

The Wisconsin Hearing/Visually Handicapped Student Grant was established to provide funding for undergraduate Wisconsin residents, enrolled at in-state or eligible out-of-state public or independent institutions that show financial need and have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment. Students are eligible to receive up to $1,800 per year for up to 10 semesters. Applications can be found on the WI Higher Educational Aids Board website.

Back to top

Wisconsin Fee Remission for Survivors

A student may receive a waiver of tuition if their parent or spouse was an ambulance driver, correctional officer, fire fighter, emergency medical services technician or law enforcement officer who was killed in the line of duty in Wisconsin or who qualified for a duty disability benefit. The surviving child must have been under the age of 21 at the time of parent’s death. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Back to top

Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant

The Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant (FFWS) is for full-time, Wisconsin-resident, undergraduate students, who graduated from a Wisconsin public high school after June of 2008. Selection criteria are established by the donor, but students must initially be Pell Grant recipients and have remaining unmet need in order to be eligible. Students may continue to receive the FFWS for up to 10 consecutive semesters if eligibility is maintained, adequate academic progress is made, and degree completion is expected. The Universities of Wisconsin Administration will randomly identify recipients from a list of eligible students provided by UW-Green Bay. Maximum grant is $4,500 per year.

Back to top

Advanced Opportunity Grant

The Advanced Opportunity Grant (AOP) is funded by the State of Wisconsin, and is intended to encourage and assist graduate minority and/or disadvantaged students with educational costs. According to State statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is African American, American Indian, Hispanic (person of any race whose ancestors originated in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central or South America, or whose culture of origin is Spanish); or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam, admitted to the U. S. after December 31, 1975. Socially or economically disadvantaged students may include, but is not limited to, those demonstrating financial need, first generation college students, those that have received some type of public assistance, etc.

Funding for this grant is limited. Minority and/or disadvantaged Wisconsin residents obtaining their first post-baccalaureate degree and who demonstrate financial need will receive priority for this offer. Awards for each academic year will begin July 1. By this time, students should:

  1. Be enrolled
  2. Have completed the most recent FAFSA application
  3. Have been offered federal financial aid for consideration.

Award amounts and eligibility will depend upon a student’s enrollment (full-time vs. part time), the number of eligible students, as well as FAFSA application date. For a full-time student, the maximum period a student can receive the offer is 4 semesters. Part-time students are limited to 6 semesters. Renewal offers and amounts are not guaranteed from year to year.

Back to top

More Student Aid

Looking for a different type of student support? Check out the different types of aid we are available to provide.

Explore Aid

Contact Us

Confused by any of this? Just want to talk to a human? We're here!

Contact Us