Skip to main content

Apply for Financial Aid

Fill Out Your FAFSA

What's the FAFSA? It's where your aid eligibility starts.

FAFSA stands for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid." Federal aid is the largest provider of financial aid for college in the U.S.—awarding over $100 billion annually. But financial aid comes in many forms— federal, state, school and private sources. For most of the aid that's available, you must start with filling out a FAFSA.

Start Your FAFSA


How to Apply

Get started at, and be sure to use UW-Green Bay's school code (003899).

See All the Steps

When to apply

The Department of Education will release the 2024-2025 FAFSA by the end of December 2023. You must apply each year you're seeking aid.

Why apply?

To be considered for various types of financial aid, like grants, loans, work study and some scholarships, you need your FAFSA results.

Student Financial Aid Details

Whether you're transferring credits from another institution, seeking a second degree, studying abroad or taking classes during the summer, your unique case may mean additional steps. Check out the information below that applies to you.

General Aid Eligibility

In order to be eligible for federal financial aid, you must:

  • Submit an annual FAFSA.
  • Complete high school. Have a high school diploma, a General Education Development (GED) Certificate, or complete your high school education in a home-school setting approved under state law.
  • Be a degree-seeking student. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree seeking student. You may not receive financial aid if enrolled as a "special" student or non-degree seeking student.
  • Be enrolled at least half time for Federal Direct Loan eligibility. Other programs may also require half time status. Half time status for undergraduates is 6 credits per semester and 5 credits for graduate students per semester.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.
  • Be registered with Selective Service (male students only).
  • Stay on track. Meet UW-Green Bay Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.
  • Get aid from only one school at a time. Receive financial aid from only one academic institution for the same award period.
  • Sign statementson the FAFSA that indicate:
    • You are not in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund of any Title IV aid.
    • You will use your student aid only for educational purposes.

Be Honest on Your FAFSA

Honesty on your FAFSA is like honesty on your income taxes—be truthful. Any intentionally false statements or misrepresentations you make (written or verbal) in any phase of the financial aid process may eliminate you from future consideration for assistance from UW-Green Bay, and may subject you to a fine, imprisonment, or both. We're not saying this to scare you, but to advise you of the risks. If you have questions, just contact us.

Students with Prior UW-Green Bay Degrees

Students returning to UW-Green Bay who already have a Bachelor's Degree from this institution are generally not eligible for financial aid. Exceptions can include those admitted into a Graduate program or students who are admitted into and pursuing another degree program (not major) at the University. Students pursuing teacher certification may also be eligible. Lifetime limits of individual aid programs and overall length of study should be areas of concern for students considering returning. Students should review UW-Green Bay's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy and contact us for more information.

Students with Other Degrees

Students who have obtained an Associate's Degree, Bachelor's or Master's Degree from another institution may also be limited in their aid eligibility due to lifetime limits on aid eligibility and length of time required to complete the new degree. You will want to familiarize yourself with the UW-Green Bay's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy and contact the Financial Aid Office for more information regarding your specific eligibility.

Transfer Student Financial Aid Guidelines

If you are transferring to UW-Green Bay, there are several steps you must take in order to receive financial aid. A common misconception is that your aid will transfer with you, and that is not the case. Follow these simple guidelines and UW-Green Bay's Financial Aid Office will award you based upon our institutional guidelines and the availability of funds.

Transfer Student Financial Aid Application

  1. Log in to the FAFSA website to add UW-Green Bay's school code (003899) to your application. This will give us access to your FAFSA.
  2. Once you've been admitted as a student at UW-Green Bay, begin monitoring your UW-Green Bay email account.
  3. Log into our network, the Student Information System (SIS) and check your 'To Do Lists' to make sure there is nothing missing that is preventing you from being awarded. Your login and password information can be found in your admissions packet.
  4. As a new student, the Financial Aid Office will email you and send you a postcard notifying you when you have received your aid offer. You will be directed to SIS in order to view, accept or decline various parts of your aid offer. Go to the Review Your Offer stage of the Financial Aid Process for more information.
  5. Once you are sure that you will transfer, contact the Financial Aid Office at your last institution to cancel any remaining financial aid there.

Transfer Student Admission

Be sure to send the University (Admissions Office) official transcripts of all completed coursework at your prior institution(s). For more, see the Transfer Student Admissions.

Study Abroad Programs (Semester/Year)

Study Abroad programs are typically a semester or academic year in length and require students to be enrolled full time in the program. Financial aid is available for students participating in approved study abroad programs. However, you should be aware that your aid eligibility does not necessarily increase as your costs increase. You will want to meet with a Financial Aid Adviser before signing up for any study abroad program, so that you are informed of your funding options before signing any contracts. If the program you are interested in is through a different university, you will need to have the visiting school complete a Consortium Agreement, which will confirm your enrollment and costs associated with the semester/academic year.

Financial aid for your study abroad semester will be available to you the first week of UW-Green Bay's classes, not when you begin your study abroad travel. If your program begins before then, you will want to plan accordingly and make arrangements for payment with the visiting school.

Travel Courses (Varying Lengths)

Travel courses are for a shorter length of time and for fewer credits than semester-length abroad experiences. Your financial aid eligibility for a travel course will depend upon:

  • Your other enrollment for the term (i.e. Are you only enrolled in the travel course or are you enrolled in other courses as well?)
  • Have you already used all of your aid eligibility for the term?

It will be important for you to stop in to see a Financial Aid Adviser if you are considering a travel course, as we can provide you with options for funding before you apply or sign a commitment.

Summer Aid Application

Complete the Summer Aid Application (available in March each year) if:

  1. You are a UW-Green Bay, degree-seeking student.
  2. You have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year (available October 1).
  3. You are requesting Federal Work Study. You do not have to be enrolled for summer to be eligible for Summer Work Study.
  4. You are requesting Federal Direct Loan. You must be enrolled halftime in SIS in order for the Financial Aid Office to offer you Direct Loan funding for the summer (6 credits for Undergrads, 5 for Grads).

Undergraduate students interested in Summer Pell Grant only do NOT have to complete this application. We will identify you and offer Pell Grant based upon your enrollment.

Your aid eligibility for the summer term will depend on the timing of your courses as well as other factors, so you’ll need to register first in order for us to determine your eligibility.

Complete Application


As a general rule, the Financial Aid Office awards financial aid to students on a weekly basis beginning in early February and continuously throughout the academic year. Since some aid programs have limited funding, and to ensure full consideration of all the various aid programs, UW-Green Bay has a preferred filing date of January 15. The preferred filing date is not a deadline. The Financial Aid Office recommends that you complete your FAFSA application and submit all requested documentation by this date. A completed aid application does not, however, guarantee that all aid programs will be offered to you.

Stuck? We can help.

Unsure where to start? UW-Green Bay offers one-on-one consultations with a financial aid advisor to explain how financial aid works and detailing your next steps.

Contact Us