Undergraduate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

The Financial Aid Office will measure, after each term of attendance, whether or not you are meeting SAP (see Elements of SAP for helpful terms and general information). The standards measured are as follows:

  • Cumulative GPAStudents must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 1.0 or higher at all times. Students must achieve and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at UW-Green Bay by the end of their 3rd term.
  • Cumulative Completion Rate: Students must pass 67% of the overall credits attempted (see Elements of SAP). Attempts are counted regardless of whether or not aid was received for that term and will include all credits, including test, transfer, etc.
  • UW-Green Bay Completion Rate: In addition to the completion rate (above), students must pass 50% of their cumulative UW-Green Bay credits attempted (see Elements of SAP). Attempts are counted regardless of whether or not aid was received for that term.
  • Cumulative Attempted Credit Maximum: Associate’s Degree: Requires 60 credits to earn the degree.  For financial aid purposes, students can attempt (see Elements of SAP) a maximum of 90 credits (150% of the program requirements). Bachelor’s Degree:  Requires 120 credits to earn the degree.  For financial aid purposes, students can attempt (see Elements of SAP) a maximum of 180 credits (150% of the program requirements).

Other Eligibility Factors/Considerations

Academic Forgiveness

The University has instituted an Academic Forgiveness policy based on a returning student meeting certain eligibility criteria. The SAP policy, however, cannot ignore or forgive a student's prior academic work when measuring a student's aid eligibility. Therefore, although the University may allow you to continue taking coursework through this policy, your aid eligibility is determined based on your full academic record. A student may still appeal for extenuating circumstances following the appeal procedure outlined in Regaining Eligibility; however time away cannot be the sole reason for submitting an appeal.

Changed/added majors

In some cases students may decide to pursue multiple majors or change their majors. Students who attempt to do so will still be monitored for maximum timeframe limitations in the same manner as all students. Depending on the timing of the change and/or the difference between the majors, length of time may be a problem for students and a loss of aid eligibility may result. Carefully review your situation to prevent loss of eligibility before the completion of any degree requirements. It is important to note as well that, per regulation, once it has been determined a student has met the graduation requirements in a degree program, their aid eligibility will cease.

Consortium Agreements

If you have a Consortium Agreement on file for a given semester, those credits will count as credits attempted but not completed until an official transcript is reviewed by the Registrar's Office. Be sure to submit a transcript as soon as your class(es) are finished. Consortium credits will impact the maximum timeframe and completion rate measurements. Grades from Consortium Agreement credits will not factor into your cumulative gpa at UW-Green Bay.

Incompletes, Drops and Withdrawals

As noted under Elements of SAP, any incomplete grades (“I”), Drops (“DR”) or Withdrawals (“W”) on your record count as attempted credits and therefore affect the measurements of completion rate and maximum timeframe. Although an “I”, “DR” and “W” do not factor into the cumulative GPA, receiving a ‘WF’ grade by failing to drop or withdraw from a course(s) will be factored in to a student’s gpa. 

Once a student earns a grade in an Incomplete (‘I’) course (earning an A, B, C, D or F), the grade will be calculated into the GPA and assessed for SAP at the next evaluation. Students who do not complete the coursework in the time allowed by institutional policy will have the “I” lapse to an “F”.

Prior Degrees

Once you have completed a Bachelor's degree, your financial aid options will be limited. Students who have completed an undergraduate degree at UW-Green Bay are not eligible for aid through UW-Green Bay in order to pursue an additional major. If, however, you are returning to pursue another degree AND have been admitted into that degree program, you may have limited eligibility before the cumulative attempted credit maximum is reached. The same will apply for students who have their degree from another institution.

Once the requirements of an Associate’s degree have been met, students will not be eligible to receive aid for a second Associate’s degree.  Continuation from an Associates degree to seeking a major for a Bachelor’s degree does allow a student to be considered for aid. 

Remedial and Pass/No Credit courses

Remedial courses taken as well as courses taken for Pass/No Credit (P/NC) will count as part of a student’s enrollment and toward the attempted credit maximum (maximum timeframe). Courses taken as P/NC do not have a grade “value” associated with them and therefore have no impact on gpa.

Repeated Coursework

The ability to repeat coursework is defined by institutional policy. However, repeated coursework may have an impact on your SAP status. Successfully repeating a course can help raise your cumulative gpa (i.e. to reach the cumulative 2.0 standard). The grade from your most recent attempt replaces the prior grade and is used to determine cumulative gpa. However, each time you take a course it counts toward your attempted credit limit. The initial attempt will count as will any repeated attempt. Multiple attempts and repeats may result in reaching the cumulative attempted credit limit before degree requirements are met. Seeking guidance from a program or academic advisor prior to repeating a course may be beneficial.

  • In some cases, a student may not be eligible for aid to repeat a course. You should review the Repeating Coursework Policy, to help you determine aid eligibility if you are thinking of repeating a course.

Transfer/Test Credits

All accepted transfer/test credits will be counted as attempted and completed credits when measuring cumulative completion rates and attempted credit maximums. Transfer students are encouraged to meet with an academic program adviser early in their career at UW-Green Bay in order to ensure proper course selection and to develop a plan for efficient program completion. SAP standards will remain the same for these students.