All campuses are closed to public per state emergency order. All classes at all UW-Green Bay campuses will be taught via alternative delivery methods through the summer. Visit our coronavirus (COVID-19) website for more information.

Grants and Waivers

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based award that does not need to be repaid. Full or Part-time Undergraduate students obtaining their first bachelor's degree may be eligible. The amount awarded is dependent on the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC), enrollment status (i.e. number of credits each term), and the school's cost of attendance.

Effective July 1, 2012, federal regulations limit the lifetime eligibility of Pell Grant received to the equivalent of 12 full time semesters (6 years). Less than full time awards are prorated and remaining eligibility is tracked by the U.S. Department of Education

Back to top

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) does not need to be repaid and is for first-degree undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who receive the Federal Pell Grant and those with the lowest Expected Family Contributions.

Back to top


Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education

TEACH is a unique federal program designed to encourage students to enter the teaching profession and teach in a high need field at schools with low-income populations. This is a non-need based grant of up to $4000 per year with a life time limit of $16,000. The TEACH has the potential to become an unsubsidized student loan with interest accumulating back to the original disbursement date if requirements of the program aren't met. Undergraduate students must, at a minimum, be accepted as a candidate into the UW-Green Bay Education Program. Graduate students admitted into the MS in Applied Leadership for Teaching & Learning must be teachers in a high need field for consideration. The Financial Aid Office will notify students if they are eligible for the TEACH Grant.

Important Links:

Back to top

Children of Fallen Heroes Grant

A student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer may qualify for funding through the federal government.  The student must be Pell-eligible and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death.

Back to top

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

A federal grant available to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11 and were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.  The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant.

Back to top

Wisconsin Grant (Previously WI Higher Education Grant/WHEG)

The Wisconsin Grant provides assistance to WI resident students obtaining their first undergraduate degree. Students must be enrolled at least half time at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, private nonprofit or Tribal institutions. The grant does not need to be repaid. Awards are based on financial need and eligibility is determined by a formula set annually by the WI Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB). Funds are limited. Students have 10 semesters of eligibility for this grant.

Back to top

Wisconsin Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)

The Wisconsin Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) is a State grant program for undergraduate Wisconsin residents who do not receive the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG). Family adjusted gross income must be less than $60,000 and the student must have unmet need. The grant amount is based on the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant minimum award each year and will be prorated for students who have 6-11 credits.

Back to top

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant (UMRG)

Awards under this program are made to full-time, WI resident, minority students seeking their first undergraduate degree. UW Green Bay awards up to $3000 per student per year, for up to four years. However, awards are not guaranteed from year to year. According to State statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is African American, American Indian, Hispanic (person of any race whose ancestors originated in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central or South America, or whose culture of origin is Spanish); or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam, admitted to the U. S. after December 31, 1975.

Consideration for an award includes meeting the above criteria as well as:

1. Be sophomore standing or higher (completed at least 24 credits), and

2. Have a minimum cumulative gpa of 2.0 and meet all other Satisfactory Academic Progress measurements, and

3. Show financial need, as measured by an annual FAFSA application. With limited funding in this program, not all qualifying students will receive an award. Early filing of the FAFSA application is encouraged each year. Changes in financial resources may affect student eligibility.

4. Once awarded, students will need to successfully complete a minimum of 24 credits each year.

No additional application is required. Priority for initial awards will be given to students based on cumulative UW-Green Bay gpa. Once awarded, students will be notified by the Financial Aid office via email. You will be informed of additional required activities to be completed prior to receipt of funds and/or prior to future consideration. Those may include online Financial Awareness Counseling, participation in financial programs/activities developed by MultiEthnic Student Affairs (MESA) and individual meetings with MESA staff to develop a plan for academic success.

Back to top

Wisconsin Indian Grant

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin residents who are at least 25% Native American (as verified by the student's tribal education office) and are undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, independent colleges and universities or proprietary institutions based in Wisconsin. Awards are based on financial need with a limit of ten semesters of eligibility. The WI Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) has an informal matching arrangement with grant funds awarded by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs and Wisconsin Tribal governments.

Back to top

Wisconsin Covenant

The Wisconsin Covenant Scholars Grant was created by the State of Wisconsin to inspire young people to plan early for a successful high school career that leads to higher education. The names of students who have signed the WI Covenant Pledge Form and followed guidelines outlined by the State will be forwarded to UW-Green Bay by the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB). The grant is available for up to 4 years (8 semesters) and amounts will be determined by the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and each semester's enrollment. The student must also meet the University's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements each term in order to continue to receive this grant.

There are two types of Wisconsin Covenant funding that students can qualify for:

  • Wisconsin Covenant Scholars Grant
  • Wisconsin Covenant Foundation Grant

Back to top

Wisconsin Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant

The Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant provides grant assistance to the most financially needy and educationally disadvantaged Wisconsin resident students attending colleges and universities in the State of Wisconsin. First-time freshmen students are nominated for the TIP Grant by the school financial aid offices or by counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Programs (WEOP). To continue to receive the TIP Grant, students must be enrolled consecutive terms and continue to show financial need. Eligibility cannot exceed ten semesters. Funding for the TIP Grant is provided by both the State of Wisconsin and the Federal Government.

Back to top

Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant

The Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant is for undergraduate WI resident students enrolled in a program leading to a first bachelor's degree. The student must demonstrate financial need (based on the FAFSA) and must be enrolled full time in the semester preceding the study abroad semester. The grant is limited to participation in a long-term study abroad program (8 weeks in duration or longer) administered by UW-Green Bay or any other UW System Institution. The amount of grant is between $500-$2000 and priority will be given to applicants who have not received the grant for a prior term. Applications are available through the Office of International Education.

Back to top

Wisconsin Handicapped Student Grant (WIHA)

The Handicapped Student Grant Program was established to provide funding for undergraduate Wisconsin residents, enrolled at in-state or eligible out-of-state public or independent institutions that show financial need and have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment. Students are eligible to receive up to $1,800 per year for up to ten semesters. Applications can be found on the WI Higher Educational Aids Board website.

Back to top

Wisconsin Fee Remission for Survivors

A student may receive a waiver of tuition if their parent or spouse was an ambulance driver, correctional officer, fire fighter, emergency medical services technician or law enforcement officer who was killed in the line of duty in Wisconsin or who qualified for a duty disability benefit.  The surviving child must have been under the age of 21 at the time of parent’s death. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Back to top


Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant (FFWS)

The Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant is for full time Wisconsin resident undergraduate students, who graduated from a Wisconsin Public High School after June of 2008. Selection criteria are established by the donor, but students must initially be Pell Grant recipients and have remaining unmet need in order to be eligible. Students may continue to receive the FFWS for up to 10 consecutive semesters if eligibility is maintained, adequate academic progress is made, and degree completion is expected. The WI Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) will randomly identify recipients from a list of eligible students provided by UW-Green Bay. Maximum grant is $3500 per year.

Back to top

Advanced Opportunity Grant (AOP)

The Advanced Opportunity Grant is funded by the State of Wisconsin and is intended to encourage and assist graduate minority and/or disadvantaged students with educational costs. According to State statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is African American, American Indian, Hispanic (person of any race whose ancestors originated in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central or South America, or whose culture of origin is Spanish); or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam, admitted to the U. S. after December 31, 1975. Socially or economically disadvantaged students may include, but is not limited to, those demonstrating financial need, 1st generation college students, those that have received some type of public assistance, etc.

Funding for this grant is limited. Minority and/or disadvantaged WI residents obtaining their first post-baccaulaureate degree and who demonstrate financial need will receive priority for this award. Awards for each academic year will begin July 1st. By this time, students should 1) be enrolled, 2) have completed the most recent FAFSA application, and 3) have been awarded federal financial aid for consideration. Award amounts and eligibility will depend upon a student’s enrollment (full time vs. part time), the number of eligible students, as well as FAFSA application date. For a full-time student, the maximum period a student can receive the award is four semesters. Part time students are limited to 6 semesters. Renewal awards and amounts are not guaranteed from year to year.

Back to top