After you Apply

You can check the status of your application on the Graduate Application Status page. After you apply for the program of your choice, you can expect the following to occur:

  • You will receive an e-mail from the Office of Graduate Studies acknowledging the receipt of your graduate application form. This email will contain an application number, campus ID number, and a link to the campus website that can be used to check the status of your application.
  • The Office of Graduate Studies will notify you of its admission decision by email. The decision will also be reflected on your Graduate Application Status Page.
  • If you are admitted, the Office of International Education will be in contact if a visa is requested as additional documentation may be required.

Note: Foreign applicants who indicate they will be requesting an I-20 or DS-2019 visa will be given additional instructions. However, the I-20 Form necessary to obtain a student visa will not be issued until the required financial documentation has been received.

Arriving to Campus

Twice a year the Office of International Education offers new international students transportation from either the Green Bay airport or the Greyhound station, these dates fall two days prior to international student orientation. Students must provide arrival information in advance by completing the pick-up request form. For more information please contact the Office of International Education, (920) 465-2190.

International student orientation is required for new students taking face to face classes. You must attend all orientation days in person. During international student orientation you will have a chance to get acquainted with the campus, learn about the student services available to you, take placement tests, meet with an academic advisor, register for classes, and much more. You will also make lots of new friends!


The Office of Housing and Residential Education allows graduate students to take advantage of the on-campus housing experience at UW-Green Bay. Currently, there are a variety of housing accommodations available for students. Please visit You will be given instructions to fill out your housing application. In order to register for housing, you will need the information from your acceptance letter, including your student ID and UWGB e-mail address.

*Housing for graduate students with families:

*Currently UW-Green Bay does not have on-campus family housing options. The options listed above are off-campus apartments unaffiliated with the University. The links above are for informational purposes only and do not represent an endorsement by the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Visa Information

Application for Immigration

There are several steps to apply for a student visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the embassy or consulate website where you intend to apply.

Citizenship and Visa Status

International students must have a visa status that allows academic study at the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay. This status includes temporary U.S. visas such as F-1 student visas, J-1 exchange visitor visas, H-1 temporary worker visas, F-2 dependent visas, or any other non-immigrant classifications.

New U.S. government regulations (issued June 2015), permits dependents (F-2) of international students to engage in study at SEVP-certified schools in the U.S., as long as they are only enrolled part-time. Although dependents can only study part-time, that part-time study can result in the attainment of a degree. However, the dependent with F-2 status would not be eligible for any employment - including on-campus, CPT, or OPT. If a dependent with F-2 status wants to enroll at UW-Green Bay as a full-time graduate student, they must apply for and obtain approval to change their non-immigrant classification to F-1 or J-1. For more information on this rule, refer to the Department of Homeland Security website.