Skip to main content

Payroll Information

The following payroll functions for UW-Green Bay are administered by UW-Shared Services:

  • Timesheets (entry, approval & corrections)
  • Absence entry/approval
  • Missing leave reports
  • Leave balances
  • Direct Deposit/W-4 inquiries
  • Earning Statement inquiries

 Employee may contact UW-Shared Services at or 888-298-0141 for questions and assistance.  

Time & Absence Information

University Staff, Academic Staff Hourly & Students

All University Staff, Academic Staff Hourly and Student employees are paid biweekly and report their absences and time worked online in HRS which is accessed through the My UW Portal.

Employees can access timesheet/absence instruction guides and videos here: 

Supervisors can access information pertaining to the Manager Self Service dashboard, including instruction guides and videos here: 

Student Employees
  • Webclock: This type of entry should be utilized for these employees who are able to punch "in" and "out" each work day.
  • Timesheet: This type of entry can be used when students are not able to immediately enter their time in HRS.  This entry allows students to login during the bi-weekly pay period and enter their "in" and "out" times for any given day during the pay period.
Punch Time in MinutesHRS Rounded Time- Hundredths
Paid time is automatically rounded based upon the HRS rules in Time and Labor
00 - 7.50
7.5 - 22.50.25
37.5 - 52.50.75
52.5 - 601
Reporting Instructions

Faculty, Academic Staff & Limited Employees

Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited employees are paid on a biweekly basis and report their absence usage online in HRS which is accessed through the My UW Portal

Reporting/Approving Instructions

Affordable Care Act (ACA)

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), referred to more frequently as the Affordable Care Act (ACA), is the health care reform legislation signed into law by President Obama in March 2010.  Many of the key provisions of the law were designed to extend health insurance coverage to the uninsured, improve the quality and affordability of health insurance and reduce health care costs.

What does the ACA have to do with Payroll?

The Affordable Care Act includes the individual shared responsibility provision and the premium tax credit that may affect employee's annual tax returns.  More information can be found on the IRS website.

In addition, employees may receive a 1095-C from the University.  If you have health insurance through the Universities of Wisconsin, you will also receive a 1095-B.

For more information visit the Universities of Wisconsin ACA Frequently Asked Questions

Student Employees - Additional ACA Information

To be in compliance with the Affordable Care Act and state legislation, student employees can work a maximum of 25 hours per week during the academic year, as outlined on the Student Payroll Schedule.  Students may work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week during designated break periods.  Please see the following resources for additional information pertaining to student hours and ACA requirements: 

Direct Deposit

Universities of Wisconsin uses ACH (Automated Clearing House), or direct deposit, to pay employees. This service, which is mandatory, electronically deposits your pay to the financial institution and account of your choice and is available to you on payday. Employees are able to set up and update direct deposit information through the My UW Portal.

Earning Statement

Your latest earnings statement is available on the My UW Portal at least two days before your pay date (payments are not available until the actual pay date). Statements are kept online for the current year, plus two prior years.

Explore Your Earnings Statement

Universities of Wisconsin's earning statement help page provides step-by-step instructions for understanding your Earnings Statement.

Employment Verifications

The University of Wisconsin uses The Work Number® to provide automated employment and income verifications on our employees. For more information on the employment verification process, please see Universities of Wisconsin website.

The Work Number Website:
The Work Number Phone Number: 1-800-367-5690

University of Wisconsin's Employer Code: 18032


Fair Labor Standards Act

The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) covers all employees and determines employees eligibility for overtime pay when more than 40 hours are worked in a week. The most common exemptions from the FLSA provisions are for employees who function in an executive, administrative or professional capacity or those who meet the other standards as outlined in guidelines provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Exempt (salaried) employees  are compensated based upon their total job responsibilities and are only eligible for overtime in certain circumstances.

Non-exempt (hourly) employees must be paid or given compensatory time at the rate of time and ½ for all hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week. Non-exempt employees are not to work overtime unless prior approval is granted by their supervisor. 


Overtime/Comp Time

Except for law enforcement officers, FLSA non-exempt employees must be paid at a premium rate or receive compensatory time credits at a rate of 1.5 hours per hour worked, for each hour worked in excess of 40 hours in a workweek.  Hours worked do not include hours of paid leave.  Law enforcement officers must be paid at a premium rate or receive compensatory time credits at a rate of 1.5 hours per hour worked, for each hour worked in excess of 80 hours in a 2-week pay period.

Compensatory Time in Lieu of Overtime Payment

Each UW institution has the authority to decide whether to provide compensatory time in lieu of cash for overtime for FLSA non-exempt employees.  Please see the UW-Green Bay Compensatory Time Policy for further details.

Foreign Nationals

All foreign national employees receiving funds through University payroll must provide their visa/immigration history through Glacier. Once the employee is entered into HRS, an email will be sent to the employee from Glacier (third-party vendor) to determine substantial presence and evaluate applicable tax treaties. The employee will complete online forms, print and sign forms, and then bring completed forms and supporting documents to HR upon completion of Glacier questionnaire.


Legal Holidays

Legal Holiday20232024
New Year's DaySunday, January 1, 2023
(Observed Monday, January 2, 2023)
Monday, January 1, 2024
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday ObservedMonday, January 16, 2023Monday, January 15, 2024
Memorial DayMonday, May 29, 2023Monday, May 27, 2024
Independence DayTuesday, July 4, 2023Thursday, July 4, 2024
Labor DayMonday, September 4, 2023Monday, September 2, 2024
Thanksgiving DayThursday, November 23, 2023Thursday, November 28, 2024
Christmas EveSunday, December 24, 2023 *Tuesday, December 24, 2024
Christmas DayMonday, December 25, 2023Wednesday, December 25, 2024
New Year's EveSunday, December 31, 2023 *Tuesday, December 31, 2024


*Floating Holiday is granted.

University offices are closed on these days. If you are a University Staff employee and occupy a position that requires you to work on a holiday, you earn time and a half for all hours worked. You can also defer the holiday to use at a later time.

If a legal holiday occurs on an employee's regularly scheduled day off (i.e., Saturday or Sunday), floating legal holiday time is granted (see exception below).

Exception: If the legal holidays of January 1, July 4, or December 25 occur on a Sunday, University offices will be closed on the following day (Monday) in observance of the legal holiday.

Allocation of Floating Legal Holiday

Floating legal holiday is allocated to the employee during the pay period in which the legal holiday occurs and will appear on the next leave or earnings statement. 

Use of Floating Legal Holiday

Floating legal holiday may be used any time during the year it is earned. University staff employees must use the  floating legal holiday hours during the calendar year it is earned. Academic Staff and Limited employees must use the legal holiday hours during the fiscal year it is earned. If used before the legal holiday occurs, the balance will appear as a negative number on your earnings statement. Please refer to the bi-weekly and monthly absence instructions for how to record a floating legal holiday.

There are no provisions to allow employees to carryover floating legal holiday into the next fiscal year (Academic Staff/Limited) or calendar year (University Staff).

Payroll Schedules

Payroll schedules provide employees information on pay period date ranges, the dates in which paperwork/timesheets must be submitted in order to be processed, and dates in which payment will be received.  Though the pay period dates are specific to UW-Green Bay's academic calendar, the payment processing dates and pay dates are determined by Universities of Wisconsin Administration.

Non-Exempt (Hourly) Payroll Schedule

University staff, academic staff hourly and student employees are paid for all hours worked per week.  Employees work a two-week period and complete a biweekly timesheet. 

Exempt (Salaried) Payroll Schedule

Faculty, academic staff and limited employees are compensated based upon their total job responsibilites as an annual or academic year salary.  For full-time employees, the biweekly rate of pay equals the annual/academic year contract salary rate divided by the number of biweekly pay periods associated with the pay basis and payroll schedule. The rate of pay for part-time employees is the full-time rate prorated for the part-time percentage, based on FTE.

W-4 Form

Employees are able to enter and update their Federal and/or State W-4 information through the My UW Portal.

Federal and/or State W-4 Instructions

Additional resources and forms, including state tax forms required for those working outside of Wisconsin, can be found on the Universities of Wisconsin Payroll Help page

W-2 (Wage & Tax) Statements

W-2 (Wage and Tax) Statements are produced by the University of Wisconsin each year in January and are mailed to both current & former employees home addresses on file with Human Resources. Copies of the W-2 statements are available to current employees year-round in the My UW Portal, under Payroll Information, Tax Statements tab. Former employees and those without access to the My UW Portal may contact UW-Shared Services to obtain a copy of their W-2 statement.

Explanation of the W-2 Wage and Tax Statement