1098-T Tax Form
Why is Form 1098-T important to you? It helps you identify eligible college expenses for valuable education credits up to $2,500.
So, do not discard this form. The IRS Form 1098-T is a statement that contains important tax information regarding qualified tuition and related educational expenses. If you are eligible to claim education-related tax credits, you will need this form to complete your income tax return.
- UW-Green Bay reports the amount you paid in Box 1 of the form. The amount shown in Box 1 represents payments received during the calendar year on eligible educational charges.
- Your 1098-T will contain payments and scholarships or grants applied to your student account between January 1 and December 31 of the tax year.
- The IRS Form 1098-T will be available for students to access in early January following the close of the tax year.
How to Access Your 1098-T in SIS
As of 2020, UW-Green Bay has electronic self-serve access for students to retrieve their 1098-T tax document. The IRS 1098-T tax document will be available for student access directly from their SIS student account in early January. See instructions below on how to access your 1098-T form. For detailed steps, view step-by-step instructions
- Login to SIS.
- On your SIS Student Center home page, under "Finances," select "View 1098-T" from the "other financial..." drop down menu and click the double arrow button to go.
- Grant Consent. Your first time accessing the “View 1098-T” screen, you will see a message stating you “You have not consented to receive your 1098-T via on-line access.” This screen also has a listing of which tax year 1098-T documents are available for you to view and print. You must grant cosent before you are able to view any 1098-T documents listed. Your completed "consent" to obtain your 1098T through self-serve on your SIS account will remain in effect through your academic career with UW-Green Bay. You will no longer receive paper copies of your 1098-T documents with a completed consent.
- Click the "Grant Consent" button.
- Review the consent Agreement that appears.
- Check “Yes, I have read the agreement" to accept consent
- Click "Submit."
- The“1098-T Consent Confirmation” screen appears. Click on the “View 1098-T Selection” box.
- The 1098-T Report Selection screen will show which 1098-T documents are available for you to view and print
- Click on the Tax Year document you wish to view/print.
We encourage students to print their electronic IRS Form 1098-T so you have a hard copy for your records. A paper copy will not be mailed to students who have granted concent to recieve their 1098-T electronically through SIS.
- Follow the steps above to access your IRS Form 1098-T in SIS.
- To Print, click the "printer icon" in top right hand of upper toolbar.
IRS Form 1098-T forms will only be mailed to students that did not grant concent to receive their document electronically. On January 31, 2020 Microdynamics (MCD) will mail paper copies of the 1098-T forms to students who did not access the 1098-T document for 2020 tax year online through their SIS account. Paper copies will be mailed to the "home" address listed on your student SIS account with UW-Green Bay. Please verify your 'home' address on your SIS account is accurate.
Tax Year 2019
- 2019 Tax Year 1098-T document is available for current active students in the Finance Section of your SIS home page.
- Follow the steps above to access your IRS Form 1098-T in SIS.
Students no longer with an active SIS account may order a copy from Microdynamics (MCD). MCD printed and mailed our 2019 1098-T forms to students and they have your 2019 document on file. Complete the enrollment process to create a password that will allow you to log into MCD site and access your 2019 1098-T.
- Go to the Mycrodynamics (MCD) Login Page
- If you already created a MCD password, enter your Student ID and password.
- If you have NOT created a MCD password, click "Click here to Enroll" link and follow steps on creating a user name/password
Complete your initial enrollment with MCD for 2019 1098-T
Please complete the enrollment screen as follows:
MCD Password Requirements:
- 10-16 characters in length
- Contain at least one upper case letter (A-Z)
- Contain at least one lower case letter (a-z)
- Contain at least one digit (0-9)
- Contain at least one special character of !@#$%&*()
View and Print 1098-T Document:
When you view your 1098-T document online through MCD you will need to print a copy. Paper copy of tax year 2019 will NO longer be to students.
Tax Years 2018 & 2017
Please contact the UW-Green Bay Bursar / Student Billing Office at email@example.com or call 920-465-2224 if you need a copy of your 2018 or 2017 tax year 1098-T document.
If you have questions about the information reported on your 1098-T, contact the UW-Green Bay Student Billing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-465-2224.
Although the University can answer questions about the dollar amounts and check boxes on the form, do not contact us for explanations of the requirements for (or how to calculate) the allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit. For that type of information, consult your tax professional or see the IRS Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Education. See UW System's Tax Benefits for Education 1098-T Frequently Asked Questions.
Payments on eligible charges are reported on the 1098-T form:
- Tuition and SEG Fees
- Course Fees
- On Line Course Fee
- Focus Fee
- Placement Fee
- Diploma Fee
What Payments on "Non-Eligible Charges" are NOT reported on the 1098-T form:
- Library Fines
- Counseling and Health Fees
- Dining Plans / Pass-Points
- Housing Charges
- Parking Permit
- Late Fees
- Bookstore Charges and Sales Tax
What to Know About 1098-T Tax Forms
- Per IRS and NACUBO guidelines, CARES funds received in 2020 are included in Box 5 of your 1098T.
- Beginning with Tax Year 2020, an email from UW-Green Bay Bursar's Office (email@example.com) will be sent in early January to students with current tax year enrollment activity.
- If you access the form electronically through your SIS student account, please print the form as a paper copy will not be mailed to your home address. If you do not access the online 1098-T form, a paper form will be sent to your home address at the end of January. If you lose the form, please see the instructions above and follow steps on viewing/printing the document from your SIS account.
- The 1098-T form, like all IRS forms, are based on the calendar year. The numbers reported are based on when the payments, scholarships, and grants are applied to your SIS account.
- We are required to report Box 1 "Payments" received on qualifying educational expenses.
- The 1098-T form obtained by 'self-serve' on student's SIS account will not show the payments reported by term.
- Only qualified payments received are reported in Box #1. Housing and dining are not qualified expenses according to the IRS.
- Consult a tax professional or utilize tax preparation software to determine if and where you need to report on your tax return, any information included on the 1098-T form.
End of the Year Payments, will they be on 1098T?
Payments made by check and received in mail during the time the school is closed at end of December for holidays will not be processed until January, therefore will not be included on 1098T for year just ending. Payments made 'online' electronically prior to 11:00 pm December 31st will be credited on the day payment was made and be included on 1098T for year just ending