Distance Education Online courses are defined as:
- Distance-delivered courses – Courses in which at least 75 percent of the instruction and interaction occurs via electronic communication, correspondence or equivalent mechanisms, with the faculty and students physically separated from each other.
- Distance-delivered programs – Certificate or degree programs in which 50 percent or more of the required courses may be taken as distance-delivered courses.
- Distance education - Education that uses one or more of the technologies listed below to deliver instruction to students who are separated from the instructor and to support regular and substantive interaction between the students and the instructor, either synchronously or asynchronously.
Technologies used in Distance Education
- The internet
- One-way and two-way transmissions through open broadcast;, closed circuit; cable; microwave; broadband lines; fiber optics; satellite; or wireless communication devices.
- Audio conferencing.
- Video cassettes, DVDs, and CD-ROMs --- when the cassette, DVD or CD-ROM are used in conjunction with any of the above listed technologies for a course.
Distance Education Course Fee
The Distance Education Fee of $25.00 per credit will be charged for all Distance Education Classes.
How the Funds Help
These funds will be used to:
- Cover the costs associated with purchasing and maintaining the software that is used to develop and deliver distance education courses
- Cover the costs of state authorization fees for distance delivery
- Offset the costs of staffing student support services (e.g. Instructional Design, Help Desk, Library, Advising, Tutoring, etc.)
- Cover the costs associated with purchasing or licensing online library resources
- Provide specialized training to faculty and teaching academic staff who develop, deliver, and/or support distance education courses
- Promote the development of new distance education programs
A full refund of this fee will only occur during the 100% refund period (add/drop period) of a semester or session.
For information regarding academic policies and procedures, contact the Registrar's Office.